So. I Ended my Commute in the Back of a Police Car

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Commuted in today on the bike after a weeks lay off due to a running injury.

Almost in work and there was a 2 car police road block to check for insurance/ tax etc, so I slowed down, smiled at the nice police lady and made some comment about presuming I'm OK to go on. She smiled back and waved me through.

Ha. Result. I'm now ahead of all the cars who just overtook me.

A mile further down the road I run over something in the hardshoulder. Gets wrapped around my rear wheel. Slashes my brand new Conti 4 Seasons tyre. Shatters my rear mud guard.

Oh. Bollox.

Have the rear wheel off, tube changed in a couple of minutes, but can't pump up the tube. Strip it down again. Find that there's now a puncture in the new tube. Bugger. Start to mend it. Notice that I can poke my finger through the hole in the sidewall of the tyre.

Police car that was performing road block drives past. Stops and the driver gets out and walks over to me.

Turns out he's a keen cyclist. Offers me a lift into work (only about a mile away).

Result. I get into the police car with the three police. Talk about cycling with the nice policemen. They let me out in the company car park after offering to handcuff and spreadeagle me over the bonnet before they release me (in full view of my workplace). Offer declined, but thanked anyway. Thank god they've got a sense of humour.

Pain about the tyre, but nice to see the response.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Pretty sweet if you ask me - I know its all to easy to knock the police but just goes to show they are their to help the community and in your case went out of their way to be helpful.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    offering to handcuff and spreadeagle me over the bonnet
    Seems a bit extreme.. care to elaborate?
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Very nice bit of community policing, I'd say.
  • redjeepǃ
    Pretty sweet if you ask me - I know its all to easy to knock the police but just goes to show they are their to help the community and in your case went out of their way to be helpful.

Yeah. That's why I thought it was worth posting it and give them the kudos. I was really impressed.
  • redjeepǃ
    al2098 wrote:
    offering to handcuff and spreadeagle me over the bonnet
    Seems a bit extreme.. care to elaborate?

Well, they'd just let me out of the gimp suit at that stage and had put the rubber truncheon back in it's case.....

Ok, back to reality. It was just a joke, as it isn't too often that somebody gets dropped of in front of our company from a police car and they were just offering "the full lift to work from the police" experience.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Awesome. The RTA I was at this week, the officer was great. Sorted out the injured cyclist, spoke to the witnesses then dealt with the driver. Going to be charged !
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I ahve found the Police to always be helpful an polite to be honest

granted there must be a few "bad un's" but there is everywhere

you could have been handcuffed an thrown about like in SuperBad now that would have been awesome
    Keeping it classy since '83