Superstar Bars

tenfoot
tenfoot Posts: 226
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

Thnking of buying a new set of bars for my bike, just because I fancy them.

I have looked at Race Face Atlas AM bars which are 720mm wide and Superstar Vector bars which are 700 mm wide. The Superstar bars are cheaper and are closer to my width requirements, so I am leaning towards them, but does anyone have any experience of using Superstar bars?

Are they cheaper for a reason (ie are they made of butter)? Would I be better off with the Race Face bars? I'm very nervous that the cheaper bars might fail off drops or jumps.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Wouldn't worry about them, I've got all sorts of superstar kit and it's great stuff, generally superstar is cheaper because

a) you're not paying a premium for the name
    b) superstar source their products direct and sell them straight to the consumer, no middle man so they can offer lower prices and still make a profit
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's good stuff, but prices are ever so slightly starting to creep up - £35 is not that cheap really.

I'd look at this:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=69&p=632&

Scandium ups the strength, and is marginally lighter and wider.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    no complaints about my flatland 780's from superstar, other than they are a touch weighty, but for the money they are very good and seem mega strong
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've got a pair of descents and they are absolutely fine.
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    Obviously tis is all I ve ridden apart from stock components, but I love the vector
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    I've just fitted the vector to my Anthem, quality seems great. Only had one ride but so far so good
  • tenfoot
    Thanks for the replies, all. I was thinking about some purty gold ones, just to bling the bike up a little. Looks like it's the Vectors then.

Might put this on hold for the minute, because my bottom bracket has given up the ghost after 6 months (no surprise there and I never use a jetwash)
  • The bars are £35 because we are pitching against the big boys (raceface/easton etc) in the £90 area. Top end alloy and butting to get the best strength to weight ratio.

We have thought about doing cheapo bars, but there are plenty out there so ill stick to high end ones for now.

Neil (superstar)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In the £90 is a lot of carbon though - looking at Easton, can get the Haven for that and is just 170g.

I'd compare more to the £50 arena.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    carbon superstar bars would be cool. something in between the 780's and 700's would be nice too, too big a difference imo
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've got the flatlands on my dh bike, they're great and I'm thinking of getting some vectors for my trail bike. The cheapest I saw comparable dh bars was for £50+ so they're still a bargain IMO
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • tenfoot
    Well I ordered the Vectors and some Supagrips grips and lockrings and they were despatched the following day. Now on the bike, and I'm well pleased.

Great service and a great product. They feel way better than the Lapierre Rizer bars that came with the bike.