Cwmcarn or Afan

tsenior
tsenior Posts: 664
edited April 2012 in Routes
Got a stag do in s.wales coming up so the rare opprtunity to try somewhere new.

I only have a few hours and will be alone so need a waymarked route used by others is preferable

both the above centres are as close to where we are staying (although cwmcarn is more on the way home).

i ride moslty outside centres usually but my faithfull marin can get me round all the N.wales centre routes adequatley, CyB and penmachno are my favorates for on-piste and I dont mind climbing or technical/rough descents
thoughts please.

Comments

• Cwmcarn is good, but n00bs to the trail don't seem to get on with the flow (there is one, but it takes time to learn where it is). You can also do 85% of the red route and then the downhill track if you wanted.

Afan, i've only ridden The Wall (the 25km loop) and it was bloody brilliant. Didn't take too long for a 25k ride, but the trails were top notch.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I love Cwmcarn - it's probably my favourite short(ish) trail ever :D The descent is fab but the climb can be a slog if you're not used to it. Whites Level at Afan is probably my second favourite, the climb is still great fun but less intimidating than Cwmcarn for any newbies and the descent is really good.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Whites level is my favourite trail I've ridden so far, well worth a ride. It's a little longer than Cwmcarn I think, certainly felt a better ride to me. The descents are incredible!
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    There is a lot more at Afan than Cwmcarn. I felt that the climbing at Cwmcarn was hard going for the reward of the descent. At Afan, Whites Level is a great, varied ride and the Wall has good descents. My vote would be for Whites Level if you only have a few hours.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My opinion, only the wall or July trail is worth it at Afan, and far prefer the rockyfaster more aggressive decents of cwm, mater of opinion.

Afan has recently annoyed me with poor trail repairs using alot of what can only be said to be builders sands, this has literally destroyed a fair few of my bearings in a wet ride there last year. I've refused to go back since.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I rode Afan this weekend and it was ace.Whites Level is just the right blend of fun but not too intimidating.
    Didn`t notice and poor trail repairs,so guess its all bedded in now.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • tsenior
    i'll give afan a go, got an extra day now so might be able to fit one in either side of the stag depending how i feel on the sunday (no chance :wink: )
  • The Spiderman
    Whites level can be done in 2 hours,and The Wall is not much longer.Skyline really needs most of the day if you do the full loop.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Whites can be done in alot less :(

If i'm honest its a breth taking boring trail bar the black loop at the top and Windy point, the rest being to pedally and dull, but let us know what you think.

When i visit i ride up the climb, do the black hit windy point, cruise back up the fire road then finish off the last bits of July a far more satisfying experience get the best out of the trails there.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Whites level can be done in 2 hours,and The Wall is not much longer.Skyline really needs most of the day if you do the full loop.

last time i did whites i did it in a little over 1 hr 15 mins - i didn't time it exactly though :lol:

but i'd say afan over CC if you're there for more than half a day :D
  • tsenior
    have realised its 3.5 hr drive down from where i live so probably will only have time for a couple of hours before rendevousing with the rest of the party sooo whites level it is
  • The Spiderman
    welshkev wrote:

last time i did whites i did it in a little over 1 hr 15 mins - i didn't time it exactly though :lol:

Bet you didn`t misss the sign for Energy and ride half way down the fire road before having to ride up again! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    welshkev wrote:

Bet you didn`t misss the sign for Energy and ride half way down the fire road before having to ride up again! :lol:

nope, i've never done that :lol: but then again i haven't ridden whites level in over a year either :lol: