Riding my first 10 mile tt, any tips?

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

Riding my first 10 on saturday as a local club is holding early season tts. Just wondered if any more experienced riders have any wisdom they could share with me?

Will be riding the event on my trusty Allez, albeit with a set of clip on tri bars. If I can get under 28 minutes i'll be chuffed.

Cheers,
Nick

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Warm up well and don't go too hard too early. It can be very hard to pace a 10, as it's so short you feel like you really have to push it from the start. Try to time getting to the start so you don't end up hanging around for ages getting cold (its easier on a single carriageway course where you can ride around a bit while waiting, with dual carriageways when you are there you're stuck).
  • nickel
    Thanks, its about a 15 mile ride to the startline so was going to use that as my warm up, the course is on quiet rural roads as well so I can always peddle around to keep warm if I'm waiting.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's your first one, don't worry about it.
    Don't overthink it. It is what it is. Simply ride 10 miles as hard as you can. If you start too hard, you'll learn for next time. Keep doing them and start to learn how your body responds and how to pace yourself better.
    Don't get hung up on a time or owt, just go for it!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • it's your first 10, just enjoy it. been able to suffer will help ;) time is irrelevant. you will hate yourself for pushing yourself this hard but once finished you will have caught the bug ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ride quickly.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,630
    Don't dress as formally as I did in my first 10 mile TT

brmtt.jpg

Or, if you do, wear proper shiny shoes.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    it's your first 10, just enjoy it. been able to suffer will help ;) time is irrelevant. you will hate yourself for pushing yourself this hard but once finished you will have caught the bug ;)
    Sounds very familiar! The whole point of your first 10 is to set a time for you to try to beat next week.

Would recommend you try to hold back a touch for the first mile or so, it's easy to go off too hard. Don't go into the red but keep asking yourself: Am I pressing on the pedals?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Go balls to the wall, flat out :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Look on it as a line in the sand and you can measure your improvement against it. If you have a HRM use it so you can put in a measured effort.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    rake wrote:
    ride quickly.

Useful
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Worth riding the course first at your leisure, that way you will know what to expect and how to measure effort better.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Worth riding the course first at your leisure, that way you will know what to expect and how to measure effort better.

+1 And work out the average speed you need to reach your goal and try to fit it into the course.
  • 5min.jpg?w=640
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I rode my first tt this time last year and it was a 10. When I finished I remember thinking that was hard - I could have gone faster!

One year on I have a TT bike and the most of the gear and I'm eagerly awaiting my first TT of the season this weekend.

My advice is ride hard but not flat out, it is only 10 miles you wont need fluids or food on the way round but you will want them after. Beware the bug can bite and your bank balance can head south quite quickly but its worth it :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • nickel
    Thank you all for the advice! I thought I'd update this thread, well I went off at the start at a nice hard but controlled pace and then cranked the effort up over the last couple of miles and sprinted the last quarter mile to the line setting a time of 27 mins 5 seconds, which im pretty bloody pleased with! I know I could have ridden harder as well, I think I might get hooked on this TT thing!
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Well done,good time for your first one.
    Best advice i was given to ride a 10 was this, start off like your're doing a paper round and finish like your life depends on it.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Nickel wrote:
    Thank you all for the advice! I thought I'd update this thread, well I went off at the start at a nice hard but controlled pace and then cranked the effort up over the last couple of miles and sprinted the last quarter mile to the line setting a time of 27 mins 5 seconds, which im pretty bloody pleased with! I know I could have ridden harder as well, I think I might get hooked on this TT thing!
    Hey, good time. You'll have to try for sub-27 next week - start a touch harder and crank the effort up a mile earlier.

Hooked? Too late, you already are :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.