Elephant and Castle

dunnnooo
dunnnooo Posts: 900
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hokay, so, I'm starting a new job soon (hopefully- touches wood) and will need to get from Clapham south to Aldwych St, just up from Charing Cross. I tried a couple of routes out today, in both cases going over Waterloo bridge (well, other than the one where I got lost and somehow ended up in Tower Hill), then either going via Elephant and Castle and CS7, or following the river to Vauxhall, then Stockwell and up. Elephant and Castle seems the better route, but that roundabout seems rather large to me, and busy. Does anyone know how safe/crazy it is during rush hour, or have a better route suggestion?

Cheers.
I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Elephant and Castle requires you to be assertive, confident and not fool hardy. It's busy during rush hour but very rarely traffic jammed in my experience.

If it were me and in part it was I probably would choose Kennington Road and then a choice of Westminister Bridge or Waterloo Bridge.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I go through that roundabout during rush hour. It's fine as long as you approach it with a bit of common sense and assertiveness. Tips:

- Get yourself into the appropriate lane as you approach
    - Don't undertake left turning buses and lorries
    - If in doubt, wait for the next gap
    - Use other vehicles as protection. Buses are great for shielding as they join the roundabout
    - Give clear hand signals of where you're going and when you're exiting
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Elephant and Castle requires you to be assertive, confident and not fool hardy. It's busy during rush hour but very rarely traffic jammed in my experience.

If it were me and in part it was I probably would choose Kennington Road and then a choice of Westminister Bridge or Waterloo Bridge.

+1

This would be quicker too.
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Fair enough. Cheers.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    M-A-S wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1

This would be quicker too.

I used to commute Balham to Aldwych and went this way - Kennington Road, Baylis Road, Waterloo Road, Waterloo Bridge. More direct than going via E&C. E&C is fine in my experience, bit tricky to get a clean run through for the Strava suicide segment though...