456 Evo as a do it all bike?

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Any opinions?

Thinking about building one up around the frame and fork bundle with the revalations, but it would be more trail hardtail that will handle bigger stuff when I work up to it than proper hooligan.

Mostly ride over the chase, manmade trails mostly so rides are generally only an hour or two.

Are they ok for longer rides? Or too stiff/heavy for it?
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Probably a good frame for the price. 150mm revelations are pointless, I think you could spce them down to a more reasonable amount of travel though.
  • My old 456 was built up with 140mm pikes and some AM wheels. I did everything on that from 40mile XC rides to DH races and everything inbetween. Was ideal for it too.
  • Price aside.. I think they're just too heavy (the normal 456 anyway, and I doubt these are lighter). Only thrown into context because my Canyon frame is only 1lb heavier :shock:
    Was looking at them last night too. Wonder if they'll ever make em in alu.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Just spend the extra £100 and get the carbon, thats what i'm going to do.

Oh, and it'll be just fine with the revs.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    styxd wrote:
    150mm revelations are pointless, I think you could spce them down to a more reasonable amount of travel though.
    Why?
  • prawny
    A mixed bag then.

Don't think I fancy the carbon one, I worry enough about my road bike, I would be bricking it about a mountain bike, I really couldn't afford to replace a cracked/badly chain sucked frame. I wasn't sure about the 150mm forks either to be fair, I know bails rates his though, I would prefer u-turns but you're looking at more money than I've got.

Keep the opinions coming though guys, the more I here the more it gives me to think about, I like thinking.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bennett_346
    I love my 150 revs.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    prawny wrote:
    A mixed bag then.

Don't think I fancy the carbon one, I worry enough about my road bike, I would be bricking it about a mountain bike, I really couldn't afford to replace a cracked/badly chain sucked frame. I wasn't sure about the 150mm forks either to be fair, I know bails rates his though, I would prefer u-turns but you're looking at more money than I've got.

Keep the opinions coming though guys, the more I here the more it gives me to think about, I like thinking.
    Clicky!
    The first frame's carbon, the seconds aluminium. Carbon's tougher than many give it credit for!
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • prawny
    Yeah, seen that vid before. Partly the reason the steel evo tickles my fancy. The not so great review on here has put me off a bit too.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • styxd
    I love my 150 revs.

Thats great that you like yours, but for trail centre riding (i.e. "big bmx tracks") they're pointless. No wonder you struggle with jumps, having 150mm forks on the front of your hardtail just makes it ride like shite.

I'd get the evo, its got tweaked geometry and ISCG tabs. It'll still feel nice fairly slack with a sensible length fork (if thats what you're worried about)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    styxd wrote:
    I love my 150 revs.

Thats great that you like yours, but for trail centre riding (i.e. "big bmx tracks") they're pointless. No wonder you struggle with jumps, having 150mm forks on the front of your hardtail just makes it ride like shite.

I'd get the evo, its got tweaked geometry and ISCG tabs. It'll still feel nice fairly slack with a sensible length fork (if thats what you're worried about)

I do sort of agree with styxd, if its jumps etc you don't need all that travel just use more air, firmer spring, saying that I have 160 domains on my reign!!

But if your trying to cover all the bases with 1 bike a u turn rev/lyrik would be a fantastic fork.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • styxd
    I do sort of agree with styxd, if its jumps etc you don't need all that travel just use more air, firmer spring, saying that I have 160 domains on my reign!!

160mm on a Reign makes perfect sense though.

I really just meant 150mm on a hardtail is a daft idea, they're a hindrance more than anything else for trail centre riding, always being stuck in a load of sag. Shortish, fairly stiff forks are what you want really, the bike just feels much more responsive with these.
  • Price aside.. I think they're just too heavy (the normal 456 anyway, and I doubt these are lighter). Only thrown into context because my Canyon frame is only 1lb heavier :shock:

This from someone who has had a P7 AND a Surge. :lol:

Your canyon frame is 1lb heavier, but was it sub £200?

5.5lb isn't THAT bad, especially considering the price. Can you get lighter 5-6" frames, sure you can, but they'll be more expensive too.
  • bennett_346
    styxd wrote:
    I love my 150 revs.

Except mine are on a FS...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Revs have a lot of compression adjustment too.

For £100 more I'd take the carbon frame and save 2lbs in weight.

This from someone who has had a P7 AND a Surge. :lol:

Your canyon frame is 1lb heavier, but was it sub £200?

5.5lb isn't THAT bad, especially considering the price. Can you get lighter 5-6" frames, sure you can, but they'll be more expensive too.

And I would have a Surge again!
    But anyway i got a bit more for my money with the Canyon!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    prawny wrote:
    A mixed bag then.

a-oh-herro-hello-17.jpg
    Yes, I do rate mine. Styxd has a hatred of anything over 100mm :wink: .

I love my 456 with 150mm forks. I think the dual position ones that drop down to 120mm would be good, but there's nothing on the waymarked trails on the Chase that it really struggle with, you just have to pay a bit more attention compared to a 100mm XC HT.

I'm not sure why a stiff fork would be a good idea? :?

Anyway, I'd really try to spend the extra on the Carbon, but the 456Evo will be very capable, and perfectly rideable at 150mm.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."