Smart front lights - 15 lux vs 35 lux??

OSOH
OSOH Posts: 153
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi,

This may sound a bit of an odd question, but as the clocks will be changing soon and we'll be having darker mornings, I want to get some decent lights and try commuting to work along the country lanes. Problem is budget is tight. I've seen the above lights at a good price and was wondering whether the 35 lux alone would be better (apparently a narrow beam) or whether it would be a good idea to use 2 of the less powerful lights, but in combination. These will be my 'seeing' lights, I have a flashing light I can add to be seen by, and I have rear lights, but choosing something to see my way along the country lanes is more tricky.

I will only be going slowly, as I'm unfit and tow a trailer, but the lanes are dark. I know the more expensive lights are much better, but unfortunately costwise they're not an option, so was just looking for opinions on the Smarts.

Thanks for reading!
It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't know about the smarts - but some of the supermarket maglite copies can be very bright (and very cheap) I believe Tesco was even doing ones with Cree LEDs?? Simple enough to bodge a mounting and a couple of spare batteries in a pocket provides peace of mind that you will always get home.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have one of the larger Smart fronts (which I think the 15 and 35 are similar to) and it was a poor object. The light tends to switch itself off at random and it isn't particularly waterproof.

Simons suggestion is worth a look (though if you go for a torch, avoid the Twofish lockblock attachment as they are terrible - wobbly as anything).

Also, Rutlands ebay site had some lightsets for £7.50 that are not bad though, tbh, I prefer to have backup lighting for the front as I'm not sure how durable the torch that comes in that set actually is. But you should always have backup anyway and two of those sets are still cheap.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I have the 35 lux one and would describe it as barely adequate as a main light (to see by) on unlit country lanes. On that basis, I'd have thought a pair of 15 lux ones unsuitable, other than giving you a back up should one fail.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    For the price of 2 Smart Lunar 15lux lights, you could almost run to a Fenix LD 20 (try ebay), which is definitely up to the job of unlit roads. You need some decent rechargeables though, as any light bright enough will eat batteries.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • OSOH
    Thanks for everyone's input, sounds like the Smart really isn't the best option then!! The Fenix LD 20 looks like a distinct possibility, much appreciated.

I do have several different front lights I can use as a backup/flashing light, but am lacking a powerful main light, hence the enquiry. Previous cycling has generally been on lit roads so more important to be seen than to have a powerful light to see by, but the lanes round here get pitch black, middle of nowhere!
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are torches half the price of the fenix and five times the output mind, such as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-100 ... 43adb37ffd

Superb item, XML LEDs are the most efficient on the markt, multi mode, light, well built. You need 18650 cells and charger though, and of course a mount. We have some links in the MTB section.

Or if you want a well priced, bolt on and go set up with battery pack, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 3cbddc37b7

I use one, simply superb.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    supersonic wrote:
    [...]

Or if you want a well priced, bolt on and go set up with battery pack, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 3cbddc37b7

I use one, simply superb.

Good price, and saves on the 4-5 week dealextreme shipping. Would recommend using something like this
    Halfords bracket for £5 (or as part of 3 for 2 promo) - found the supplied 'O' rings unsatisfactory.
  • OSOH
    Just under £40!! :O The Fenix was marginally out of budget, so unfortunately the other one wouldn't be an option. The torch style would be fine, could cable-tie it to basket as I have with others in the past, my bike's a weird-looking heap anyway so a few extra cable ties wouldn't hurt!!

Thanks for suggestions anyway, got a couple to mull over.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I have the lunar 35 and ride unlit country roads. It is fine as a flashing to be seen by; or at a pinch as an emergency headlight but its not up to the job of a regular to see by light. & +1 to it switching off if you hit a bit of a bump.

I've recently picked up a 1W LED torch from Tesco for £10. it runs on 2AA batteries, lasts a decent time and whilst the beam is quite narrow, it is fine for dawn & dusk road riding and illuminates a good distance ahead. lightweight and simple as there's no flashing mode. I've not had it soaked yet so don't know how rainproof it really is but it looks a solid piece of kit.

if you can wait 6 weeks or so, have a go on dealextreme. some good very bright lights & accessories for a very reasonable price I got my winter to see by kit (at 5am & 11pm on total dark roads) for £26 = torch, bar mount, 2 x batteries (the big AA proportioned ones I forget the number : 18--- ono) & charger.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I have an Ultrafire torch similar to the one Supersonic mentioned. Very good indeed. You will need a 18650 battery and charger. Carry a spare charged battery for when the fitted one dies.
    Smart 35 are fine as a back up, that's what I use mine for.