3-4 hour route around Ambleside

schweiz
schweiz Posts: 1,644
edited March 2012 in Routes
I'm back in blighty this weekend and popping up to the lakes with my wife, my mate and his wife. Whilst the girls are getting pampered in the spa at the hotel we've got ourselves some mountain bikes for the afternoon on Saturday. We had planned to hire them at Grizedale but they've got none left so they're from a LBS in Ambleside. I'm mainly a roadie so I have no idea of where we can ride around the Ambleside area. Has anyone got any decent routes they'd like to share? Or is it best to just throw the bikes in the car and nip up to Grizedale?

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Seriously spoiled for riding in the lakes, I wouldn't bother with grizedale.

This list has some decent rides listed

http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Alternatively Biketreks, one of the shops in ambleside have a few routes you can grab in store.

Or grab an OS map and plan a route yourself, my favourite way of doing things.
  • schweiz
    Thanks for that. The Ambleside route looks good on that site.

http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showro ... p?route=27

I thought about just taking a map and seeing where we end up but we've only got half a day and I wanted to make the most of it.

We're getting the bikes from Ghyllside cycles and their website says they can advise but I thought I'd get a heads up off BR!
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    That is a very good but demanding route if you are mainly a roadie :!:
    If you are constrained by time it might br worth keeping an eye on how far you have gone and how long it could take to get back.
  • schweiz
    Well what a weekend! Perfect weather.

After talking with the guys in the bike shop, we did a variation on the route above 35-ish km and there were some excellent downhill sections. The hire bikes were okay and well maintained. I have to say it was good to get back on to a HT again.

Being a roadie didn't cause me any problems. It's a steep 25% climb out of Ambleside onto Loughrigg Fell but I had more than enough gears to cope!

And the beer was great too, I don't think the first pint touched the sides, the second one barely did either!