Replacement for CycleHire Commute

fredatkinson
fredatkinson Posts: 18
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm quite a novice in terms of bikes, but basically I've been using the cycle hire scheme in London for about 6 months for a train-cycle commute (not a massive distance but it works out about 10 miles a day).

Obviously as it's getting a bit warmer, getting hold of bikes/spaces is becoming a real pain- so I'm looking to buy a replacement. My options I guess would either be to buy something fairly cheap and lock it up overnight (there is an underground car park with cycle racks by the station) or to invest in a folding bike. I know the first option sounds pretty stupid as the bike is almost guaranteed to get nicked, but it does mean I don't have to try and cram on a packed train with a foldable bike. Happy to spend about £300ish on a folding bike, and maybe £100-£150 on a cheap hybrid or whatever.

Just wanted to put it out there for suggestions- and see what you guys' think might be the way to go.

Thanks,

Fred,

Comments

• OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    Sure others will have better ideas, but it's surprising what you can get secondhand if you're looking for a 'grotty' old hybrid. I have an old Raleigh Pioneer hybrid I bought as a stopgap for £10 with the aim of selling it on when I no longer needed it...nearly 3 years on it's still with me, and gets used more than my more recent aluminium hybrid. Owner was retired, had the bike in shed and no longer used it. I also picked up another Pioneer from Ebay for a friend for £25 purely because nobody else bid on it...the thing was in near-perfect condition, just old and a seemingly undesirable colour. I've replaced parts etc on mine as needed, but it looks so battered that I can't imagine it ever being a target for thieves, and yet somehow I love using it. Besides, at that price, if it's stolen it can be replaced cheaply! Although if I was leaving it overnight I'd probably remove the saddle and take that home, as it cost far more than the bike...however that may well make it even less desirable to thieves.

Just my thought, a low-cost option that doesn't necessarily mean having to put up with a pile of junk, just some careful watching of Ebay/local classifieds and avoiding anything apparently dodgy/stolen.
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • Thanks Osoh,

Yeah- I mean the benefit of that option means I can get a full-sized frame, which may suit me better. Also happy to spare £10 if it gets pinched.

Might have a try out over the weekend- never ridden a folding bike- they look fairly stable and fairly quick. Obviously everything's going to be quicker than the BorisBikes, and I'm not exactly a performance cyclist, but just wanted to put it on here for everyone elses opinion. But yeah, eBay could well be the way to go.

Thanks,
  • rustytop
    rustytop Posts: 5
    Agree with what has been said here. I went through the same decisions - no Boris Bikes at 7am at Charing Cross. etc...

Haven't looked back. Broken MTB off ebay for £16 from a nice old boy. Rusty frame, bolted wheels and saddle, unattractive. Stripped it down but did not clean it. One new rear wheel, single speed cog, new chainset and a £50 D lock. Runs like a dream.
    I have been leaving it at a railway station in London for 12 months now - no attention from thieves yet...

Got to be the way forward...

Rustytop
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you go for a dressed-down, lockup-up bike, make sure you fit good tyres. I would spend more on tyres than on the bike, probably Marathon Plus.
    How much repair kit do you want to carry? short spanner, spare inner, tyre levers, pump or CO2?
    Do you want to carry battery lights or fit a dynamo lighting system. You can pick up old 3 speeds with lighting.
    Another low-rent alternative is a 20" shopper style. Dont discount old ,- ladies style bikes.
  • Ok cheers guys-

Yeah think I'd want to carry a basic toolkit about as you mention- probably in a decent backpack, and try and sort something with a dynamo attached- in fact think I might already have that at home.

As I say, I'm really not too picky in terms of style, as long as it gets from A to B- although obviously something that is ok to maintain is going to be favourite, as any bits of fixing are going to have to be on the go.

Also I guess with a cheapish second/third hand bike it shouldn't really depreciate in value, so if it's not quite the right thing I can always re-sell it. But as you mention just want to be careful in regards to stolen ones.

Thanks,
  • OSOH
    If you're after a tool kit just to make the odd adjustment to the bike, could always look at the saddlebag + toolkit in Lidl for £4.99? Just remove the toolkit and take it with you, less bulky than a backpack.
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • £4.99? Bargain, cheers

So yeah just had a look at Bromptons, and the guy in the shop basically convinced me that its definitely not the way to go.

Thanks for the input, going to get on eBay/gumtree and see what I can find.
  • OSOH
    Just wondered if you found anything...had another thought, it may well be worth looking at Ebay bikes under the section "for parts or not working" - I've just picked up an old Raleigh mountain bike through that option for £10, listed as needing new rear wheel bearings (couple of pounds). There seem to be a few bikes under these listings where people go into detail about what's wrong, may be able to pick up something that's a cheap/easy fix.
  • Hi,

Yeah thanks for that- I've got a friend who's selling quite a nice hybrid, so thinking of holding off for that for the time being- and seeing how I get on with it, and can take a view when I've tried it out.

But cheers for asking- and if it doesn't work out, the "spares and repairs" option sounds like the next step.