Shimano/Avid brake compatibility

El zilcho
El zilcho Posts: 73
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, does anyone know if Avid disks are compatible with Shimano Deore disk brake calipers? The seals on my Avid Juicys have gone and I'm trying to decide whether it would be better just to replace the calipers or to try and source the appropriate spares.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They will work fine, however be sure you have the right size adaptors or necesary spacers, Avid's tr-align system means the same adaptor sometimes does not work with other brakes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    the Avid G3s I used with M595s didn't have much modulation compared to a back-to-back comparison with the same brakes & RT76 rotors. The Avid rotors are just a little bit thicker
  • El zilcho
    That's what I was worried about. Thanks for the replies.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    El zilcho wrote:
    That's what I was worried about. Thanks for the replies.
    what?
    the lever motion?

reset the pistons and you will not notice anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • El zilcho
    The different thickness rotors, but now you mention it resetting the pistons would probably deal with that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    El zilcho wrote:
    The different thickness rotors, but now you mention it resetting the pistons would deal with that.
    Corrected for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ime there's more to it than that. Shimano's calipers & pistons seem to have a wider range of movement in proportion to the lever travel than Avid's. Maybe the hydraulic circuit is different :?

Just my experience combining otherwise functionally OK J3s/M595/G3CSs & RT76s.
  • El zilcho
    Thanks for the information everyone.