Bar Ends Purchase Advice

Benny2687
Benny2687 Posts: 26
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
I am looking to get some bar ends for my Ridgeback Genesis and wasnt sure what to get, or if it even really matters what type you get. So far i am looking at Ritchey Comp or Pro but also the Tioga Carbon Power Stubs. (sorry i dont know how to post links yet)
The carbon ones are only 17 pounds, does anyone know if they are worth getting.

Comments

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I have Tioga (L Shape ones) and they're great.

They're thicker than your average ones but this is great if you've got big hands (like me).

Whatever you get, get L Shape ones as they offer more hand positions
  • Benny2687
    Thanks Moodyman, where yours at a similar price?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    In my experience there are only two types: the traditional ones like you've looked at, and the 'ergo'-type like Cane Creek Ergo IIs. The ergos, tend to weigh a bit more, but are incredibly comfortable compared to regular ones, in my opinion.

Apart from some Cane Creeks, the only others I use regularly (on my commuter) are some really old Onza ski-bends. The curved section makes them more comfortable than straight ones.
  • Moodyman
    Benny2687 wrote:
    Thanks Moodyman, where yours at a similar price?

Mine were about £16 if I recall but this was about 3 years ago.

I also got some Ergon grips with bar ends for another bike - they're also pretty good, but £30+.

So if you're happy with your current grips, just add the bar ends.
  • Moodyman
    Don't bother with carbon ones.

Bars get abused a lot - taking the full impact of a fall last winter. They're also being scraped againt walls when parking the bike. I'd feel much happier knowing that it was aluminium bar that I was doing this to. I'm sure carbon ones will be strong enough, but still...
  • Benny2687
    Thanks all, some good advice. Wont bother with the carbon.

cheers
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I've got some of these on the end of my Scott Sportster's bars: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CSBC0815KK

Very comfy and have a nice grippy rubber surface too.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    warpcow wrote:
    In my experience there are only two types: the traditional ones like you've looked at, and the 'ergo'-type like Cane Creek Ergo IIs. The ergos, tend to weigh a bit more, but are incredibly comfortable compared to regular ones, in my opinion.

Apart from some Cane Creeks, the only others I use regularly (on my commuter) are some really old Onza ski-bends. The curved section makes them more comfortable than straight ones.

I've heard good things about the Cane Creeks, but don't they point outwards on a bar with reasonable sweep?