New forks, different travel - just use sag to adjust?

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My son has a Spesh Hardrock and is finding it a bit heavy compared to his Hotrock that he recently outgrew.

Looking to make it lighter, and knowing the forks arent great, I have bought a cheap second hand set of Tora air forks.

They should be a fair bit lighter but also allow us to tune the response so that they work for a rider of his weight.

But the forks that came with the bike are 80mm travel and the Toras are 100mm. I dont particularly want to raise the front end and change the geometry for him, but can we just set them with more sag? Or should I get someone to open them up and change the travel?

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not worry and set the sag as normal circa 20%
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    OK - gonna give it a go and see. thanks

I suspect I may end up replacing the wheels with lighter ones too in the quest to reduce weight.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Andy, I would try running them at a decent level of sag (maybe as high as 35-40%) and back the rebound right off. As the young'un is light this will help him get the best out of remaining travel. If you're interested in some light wheels PM me. I have a set of probably too light for me wheels knocking about.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.