Replacing the thumb lever on SRAM X5 shifters

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all. A mate has a broken X5 9sp rh shifter with a metal thumb lever that I would like use instead of the plastic lever on my X5. How difficult/easy is it to change the lever?

CBA to take it all to bits but I don't mind if it's a 5 min job

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like different years so may not even be possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1 minute job, undo centre bolt, swap and do back up, you may have to tilt the lever slightly to get the bolt into the nut on top without it spinning, otherwise you have to take the cover off and hold it (making it a 5min job!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    1 minute job, undo centre bolt, swap and do back up
    Thanks that was what I was hoping for!

The shifters are the same year (2009-ish) but his are half-silver with a metal thumb lever whereas mine are all black plastic.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    same year then no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • put a bag or tray below it to catch any clips or springs that some shifters have in them and them come loose with little or no persuasion :wink:
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!