Freesat?

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Can I use my Sky box for Freesat - have had box for 3-4yrs so no warranty issues I believe - is ita case of sticking a new card in the existing box?

Comments

• Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    you don't even need to do that. It will give you all the freesat channel (i.e. not Sky 1, movise, etc). You will also lose the ability to record, rewind etc if you have a Sky+ box.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    So if I cancel the Sky sub and get the freesat card for £24 do I still lose the ability to record, pause etc?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    There are 2 different systems here.

1. Freesat is a service from the BBC and ITV that transmits free channels. You cannot pickup Freesat on a Sky box, you need a Freesat receiver, but the dish can be the same as it is transmitted from the same satellite that Sky uses.

2. FreeSat from Sky. You can use your Sky box either with no card at all, or with a Freesat from Sky card. Sky encrypts Channel 4, Channel 5 and many other free to air channels - you need a card (£25 one off payment) to decrypt these otherwise free channels. http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/faq/#3

Sorry I don't know about recording and pausing as I've never had a Sky+ box, however I can't see why you would loose that ability, it's a function of the box rather than anything Sky provides.
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    I had a Sky subscription which I stopped. I left the sky box as it is and now I get BBC1/2/3/4 ITV1/2/3/4 and all the +1. Channel 4/E4/More 4, channel 5. the channel 4 movies, the BBC News channel and Al Jerezze, etc. Basically the same as you get with Freesat/FreeSat, but with now additional outlay for a new box and now outlay for any cards. The sky + box is now just a receiver with the Sky EPG. it will not record or pause, etc.
  • Hilariously when we went to France a couple of years ago I decided to take our Sky+ box as I figured it was basically just a hard disk recorder and we would therefore be able to watch a load of series we had recorded rather than try to decipher the French-only TV.

Needless to say it didn't work and I duly accepted my punishment from Mrs Trousers for being so stupid.