Top 10 cycle danger spots in Manchester

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
As reported by the Manchester Evening News this morning. Thankfully I'm north Manc so I only use one of them. And that's enough.
The most dangerous junctions...

Wilmslow Road/ Wilbraham Road/ Moseley Road - 25
Wilmslow Road/ Walmer Street - 25
Deansgate/ Peter Street - 19
Kingsway/Chester Road/Edge Lane - 16
Dickenson Road/Stanley Grove/Stockport Road - 16
High Lane/Barlow Moor Road/Sandy Lane - 16
Wilmslow Road/ Great Western Street - 14
Wilmslow Road/ Claremont Road - 12
Bolton Road/Manchester Road roundabout - 12
Wilmslow Road/Moss Lane East - 11

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1489134_wilmslow-road-curry-mile-named-top-hot-spot-for-cycling-accidents-in-manchester
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i was at the MEN arena last week an the level of driving around there was shocking, despite all the speed cameras etc

so i dont envy you on the roads in Manchester (arhh kid - as they say on shameless :) )
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Used to cycle to Uni along curry mile - there was a cycle lane along most of it, always full of parked cars.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Manchester?

Where is this place called Manchester? I'm presuming it is one of those god forsaken hovels in that place known as Sarrrf London?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Curry Mile is a nightmare. I believe it's OK early on, but once the shops open, forget it. It's also Europes busiest bus route !
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Complete opposite round my way - I did 12 miles from Chadderton to Salford this morning down Broadway and Oldham Rd and didn'teven see a bus until the bottom of Portland Street. It's amazing how crap public transport is in north Manchester - in fact, it's almost none-existent on some routes.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited March 2012
    msmancunia wrote:
    Complete opposite round my way - I did 12 miles from Chadderton to Salford this morning down Broadway and Oldham Rd and didn'teven see a bus until the bottom of Portland Street. It's amazing how crap public transport is in north Manchester - in fact, it's almost none-existent on some routes.

Oldham road is usually a bus magnet but yes, we do seem to be less well served on the north side.

As to the league table, who'd have though eh, the most popular and busiest cycle routes in the city which happen to also be some of the busiest and usually badly parked around/upon car routes in and around studentville have the worst accident record. from my experience of living in Rusholme a while back and still frequently cycling and driving round these areas, there's an awful lot of braindead dopes swanning around on bikes oblivious to their surroundings and selfish dangerous planks determined that they can ride/drive however the hell they like and its everyone else's responsibility to get out of THEIR way.

I'm guessing the MEN feature tomorrow will include instances of bears and arboreal defecation. :wink:

(edited)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Not a lot of traffic on my route to Salford from Oxford Road. Sometimes it's busy on the return trip, but most of the time the road's pretty clear, considering it's a two-lane dual carriageway most of the way.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)