Tubeless ready tyre setup

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm in the process of converting to tubeless ready tyres. I have a vague memory of reading in a mag about how to convert to tubeless ready and it mentioning going around you tyre and 'popping' the tiny air bubbles that exist naturally in rubber. Has anyone heard of this and is it worth doing. Presumably its to do with making the sidewalls less porous, but i've not seen anything about it since and can't recall where I read it to check.
thanks in advance, Pete.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like nonsense to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Total rubbish. How would you even go about that!?
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    pseymour wrote:
    I'm in the process of converting to tubeless ready tyres. I have a vague memory of reading in a mag about how to convert to tubeless ready and it mentioning going around you tyre and 'popping' the tiny air bubbles that exist naturally in rubber. Has anyone heard of this and is it worth doing. Presumably its to do with making the sidewalls less porous, but i've not seen anything about it since and can't recall where I read it to check.
    thanks in advance, Pete.

It's not April the 1st already is it ?

If you're "converting to tubeless ready tyres" that implies you are buying tubeless tyres, and therefore they are already optimised for tubeless setup, i.e. they have a tougher sidewall.

Have you actually looked at a tyre sidewall to see if there are bubbles ? Even if there were, they would be smaller than the head of a pin, so how would you pop them ?

Besides, a porous material is stronger than a porous material with all its bubbles popped :?
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    Thanks for the advice Cooldad and Njee20. Subject now closed.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.