That's this season gone... (broken wrist)

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Big off yesterday, no-one else involved... not sure exactly what happened but think I fumbled my bottle on the flat whilst doing about 28mph.

Hit the deck hard after going over the bars.

Covered in road rash, and a trip to A&E has left me in a plaster cast with a fractured scaphoid on my dominant hand :-(

Can't drive, no idea how going to get on with work and worse of all will be off the bike at least 2 months they reckon, and might yet need an operation.

thoroughly, thoroughly miserable!

worst part of all is that not one single car stopped to help despite several being around me when I went down. Given that I went right over the bars and then skidded to a stop it was dramatic enough to have wanted to check I was alive, I would have thought. I f*cking lose faith sometimes.

Comments

• Secteur
    And it was a bloody brilliant ride before that - i was on fire and the hills felt like nothing - was flying up them like never before
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I feel for you!

I did something similar last year on a Training Camp in Spain. On a rest day I hired a MTB and in the late afternoon I nipped into the local town to get some European beer tokens. Along the prom. 10/15 km/h not concentrating, over the bars, dislocated finger on left hand, bashed right arm but the worst was a bursitis in my right knee that only showed up a week or so later and it kept me off for almost 3 months.

However try and avoid the mistake I made. I became quite sedantry and piled on 10kg by the end of last year. I'm still battling to back down to my fighting weight. I hope that the break mends well and your back on the bike ASAP.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Very bad news... sorry to hear about your off.

I came off my motorbike around a smallish roundabout probably because of oil or something on the road rather than riding stupidly... but yes, no one stopped - and cars just looked annoyed that I was lying in the middle of the road (and they just drove around me). That was 20 years ago... so I don't think it's a new thing.

Hope your wrist heals soon. I have broken my scaphoid in the past... they can be a bugger to heal; so you really do want to try and rest it rather than try and do things you've been told to avoid.

Maybe buy a turbo while you recover so that you try and avoid loosing too much fitness. It will also give you something to do while you rest.
    Simon
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Sorry to hear that, broke my wrist a few winters back after coming off on icy road, takes a while to heal but you should be back on the bike in a few months - still with most of the summer (hopefully!) to enjoy.

Similarly ignored after a very similar accident to someone above, came off motorbike on diesel whilst riding very slowly. Fell to side with bike on top of my leg (it was a 500cc, not massive but I couldn't lift from that angle). Broke a few toes despite decent boots. I lay there struggling for what seemed like ages whilst cars on both sides of the road drove around me. In the end a traffic warden and a guy from a local pub came out and lifted the bike off me. I was amazed at peoples reactions, its saddening but there are still enough good people around I think.

Best of luck with the recovery, you should still be able to run whilst in plaster (I don't think you mentioned leg injuries?) so you can keep your fitness up. Although your arm might get a little fragrant, I did it for around 3 weeks and it wasn't offensive enough for my wife to mention....unless she was being kind?! As soon as you are out of plaster and can comfortably do some press-ups, you should be good to go!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Grim - bad luck indeed.

I hope your recovery is swift.

I'd second buying a turbo (or borrowing one as people start to ride outside once again?) - it would at least keep the legs spinning whilst you rest up.

Crappy that no-one stopped at all!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    XRPOIDH! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sorry to hear of your predicament. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Reminded me of an incident a few years ago when I was riding up the M1 (on a motorcycle this time :D ) through road works and for some reason the stupid cow in front decided she was going to perform an emergency stop for absolutely no reason, I grabbed a big handful of brakes, locked up the front and went down like a sack of spuds.

Needless to say the woman in front was completely oblivious and buggered off on her way. I ended up sliding across two lanes of busy traffic, fortunately not getting hit in the process, whilst the bike ended up another 50m up the motorway. I had to hobble up the motorway with a smashed ankle to recover my bike whilst cars drove around me! I even had an artic drive around me whilst I was trying to pick up the bike.

Eventually a courier driver stopped in a Luton van, loaded me and the bike in it and gave me a lift home. Don't really know what the moral of the story is expect the ignorant tw*t / helpful bloke ratio is about 5000/1
  • Secteur
    Thanks everyone.

I have a turbo and I like to run, but worried as I tend to sweat a lot on the turbo including my arms so hope the cast doesnt get too manky?!

My main worry is that the scaphoid is known for not healing properly and causing long term problems, so i am trying to be super careful. Although I am terrified of the thought of surgery, it might not be a bad idea if it improves the chances of a good heal. I suppose if they wire it together then it's more likely to bond back together.

It's not too bad in the cast, but if I forget and use my fingers to do something then I get a searing pain in the wrist - presumably that's the broken bone pulling apart!

eek!

(photo taken in mirror - it's actually my right arm)
    ScaphoidCast-1.jpg
  • Slater
    Slater Posts: 80
    Secteur wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

I have a turbo and I like to run, but worried as I tend to sweat a lot on the turbo including my arms so hope the cast doesnt get too manky?!

I had an operation on my toe a few years ago and had to have a cast on my foot for six weeks. I had the same feelings about not wanting to get the cast all sweaty and stinky.
    After 4 weeks of doing nothing I couldn't take it any longer and started going for rides anyway. I used my mountain bike and had to re-fit some flat pedals but I managed to ride for a few miles. I live in a quiet semi rural area though so no one saw me riding with a cast on my foot. I did this quite a few times over the last 2 weeks with the cast on but I felt much better for doing it.
    The cast did stink when it came off but I'll never see the person who took it off again.
    The cast's going to stink whatever you do, so you may as well do some spinning on a turbo.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Not your season done at all. Don't knock it about and keep your fitness up and you'll be back in no time.

Have to face the fact that if you ride on a regular basis and you push things, crashes/accidents are going to happen.

I overcooked a corner yesterday and got some serious airtime then landed on my back.

Keep your chin up and crack on
  • Wobbler72
    Wobbler72 Posts: 31
    I've previously posted in this section about the benefits of ultrasound and laser treaments from Brian Simpson in Ipswich to promote rapid healing of breaks and fractures. But that's for collar bones, arms and legs. I think scaphoids are different.

You're right when you say that scaphoids are difficult bones to heal. The problem is they float inthe middle of the wrist and there is very little blood supply to them. Ignore all the "you'll be back in no time" stuff. This is one you need to take really carefully and get right, else you'll suffer for years to come. I'd get some proper medical advice if I were you, rather than rely on well intentioned amateurs like me and others on here.

Just my 2p
  • Secteur
    looks like Fuglsang did exactly the same thing yesterday

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11428 ... ion.com%29
  • Secteur
    Wobbler72 wrote:
    I'd get some proper medical advice if I were you, rather than rely on well intentioned amateurs like me and others on here.

I'm seeing the surgeon on Monday... fingers crossed...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "I'm seeing the surgeon on Monday... fingers crossed..."

I think you should get that X-rayed again if it's left your fingers like that :shock:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sorry to hear about that mate. Hopefully someone won't join the forum purely to start winding you up when you're feeling very low already like they did with me last year.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    Lol @keef66..

On a serious note - hope you're back soon, you could be fully fit again before the end of May if you take things steady. Sounds like a frustrating break but could have been worse.
  • ddraver
    awwww, no X rays? I like X-rays like Aggie Likes Women in lycra!
    - @ddraver
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Sorry to hear about the off+GWS from the guys/lasses on the Sorry please delete...thread :wink::wink:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sorry to hear that Secteur, here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Once the doctors give you the ok, you may be surprised just how much fitness you can keep on a turbo. My off in October kept me off a bike outdoors for 2 months but by spinning throughout (with the doc's approval) I was able to pick up not too far from where I left off (took about a month to get back to decent bike/hill fitness). I did about 4-5 turbo sessions a week including at least 2 sufferfests (Angels and Hunted), 1 recovery and 1 long ride at tempo. It might be worth getting a mate to flip the stem to make it a bit more comfortable and use a cheap sling, etc. Best of luck.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    bad news.
    If they offer surgery i'd snatch their hand off. I had my wrist set(slightly out of line)and when they removed the cast it ached and was weak. It seemed to take ages to improve. Eventually they decided to reset(re-break) it and plate it. wow after 2 weeks they took the cast off and my wrist was almost like new. Seriously the difference in strength, pain and time was amazing.Its a very minor op - i'd go for it. Good luck.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • agz
    agz Posts: 1
    Just echoing what others have already said really. I had a driver pull across my path, though I was travelling at a fairly low speed, I bounced off the side of the car. bent fork/handlebars/shifter, but luckily no serious injuries. the driver was more worried about her car, and the other cars around at the time didn't even bother to stop.

Quite sad really :/
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Sorry to hear your season is written off so early.

I had a big 'off' last year, hit a kerb and went flying over handlebars. Landed on my back stunned and seeing stars. One car definitely saw me and I'm sure another couple must have seen me. All drove by, first one looked at me, obviously I didn't look injured enough and she drove off! B**ch!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    That's sh*te !!!
    Do you have a turbo ? At least you can keep you legs spinning that way.

Get well !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Hi, went for an athroscopy yesterday on my dominant left hand, its private in Wigan due to a claim - he found a problem with the bones and operated - have to go back in a week - he's words were 'we might have to stiffen the wrist '- big job and a big decision - i'm a mature student- lots to think about.
  • I feel for you Specteur - one of the reasons I gave up contact sports and took up cycling in the first place was a freak accident playing football where I broke both arms just above the wrists. Look on the bright side, at least you will still be able to wipe your own arse! The sight of my (now) ex wife walking into the bathroom wearing a pair of Marigold gloves with a peg on her nose after my first dump still makes me chuckle :D

The only pieces of advice I have are;

1) stay active as stated above
    2) if you need post op physio, do it religiously
    3) when you get back on your bike again you might need to tinker a bit with your setup so that you don't get too much weight / pressure on your wrist initially, this can be gradually adjusted back to your normal position

Get better soon mate
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Is it definitely broken? Scaphoid fractures don't always show up on plain film x-ray, so they tend to cast them to be on the safe side and wait a week until any signs of bone healing are more obvious.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    All the best Secteur. If you're young you'll heal quickly, hopefully.

I came off my mountain bike last Friday and landed on my right shoulder, causing a grade 3 separated shoulder. I was planning going touring tomorrow but that plan's on hold.
    Doing everything one-armed is a pain as well. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • ddraver
    Look on the bright side Secteur, this is one of the best months to be forced to sit on the couch and watch cycling on the telly!
    - @ddraver
  • Secteur
    ThanKs everyone.

In answer to the question above - yes it's very definitely broken and I could see the gap between the two halves of the bone on the X-ray.

I have spoken to some orthopaedic surgeons who I know who say i could push for it to be screwed which would mean no plaster cast and pretty much back to normal activity within 2 weeks. Best bit is it's a 15minute operation with a puncture rather than a cut so only a steristrip and not even a single stitch needed.

It doesn't guarantee it'll heal any better than the non-surgical option of just spending 6 weeks in a cast, but it does offer a much quicker fix, for those willing to take the (small) risks of anaesthetic and infection which means my job is safe (plus the bonus of getting back on the bike sooner!).

If it's badly out of line then may need more involved surgery, but fingers crossed. Will know either way after clinic on Monday!