Michelin Krylion, Pro Race 3, and Lithion 2 tyres

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited March 2012 in Workshop
So in past have used Krylions, seem to last forever but a little bit hard and less supple (as probably they`re designed to be). Have also used Pro race 3, very smooth, very fast, but not much life tread wear <1000 miles.

Would Lithions 2 bridge the gap between these above 2 ? description seems to be has advantages Pro Race but longer lasting, but soeem reviews point to puncture prone etc. But cheap :)

I also note Krylions seem to be being discontinued and pro 3 replaced by Pro 4.

Have in past used Schwalbe Ultremos (first editions I think), but have been concerned by press about splits etc so never bought another pair; BUT they lasted and rolled well; Any thoughts on the latest Ultremos ? although don`t seem to be any `bargains` on them unlike above 3 Mich tyres
ta :)

ps intended use pleasure / leisure / sportive riding , not racing,

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    No, the Lithions are the cheapos

You can't have everything. Either go with the Krylions and sacrifice a bit of weight and possibly grip, or go PR3 and sacrifice some toughness. Or maybe go with a PR3 on the front and a tougher Krylion on the back?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd say the Krylions are actually what you seem to want - long lasting enough to train on but fairly close to the performance of race rubber. The only thing I don't like about them is they are bitches to fit on Campag rims - never had a tighter tyre than them.

If they are being discontinued anyone know what is replacing them - if anything ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • JamesB
    Thanks for these comments---have been very happy with Krylions in past so will see if can get a few in before all gone then ! :(
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Krylions and PR3s are brilliant, Lithions are rubbish. End of.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    The Michelin's are much better made than the Schwalbe's imo. After converting to Krylions from Ultremo's.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • JamesB
    Krylions and PR3s are brilliant, Lithions are rubbish. End of.

thanks for such a firm opinion ---all consensus seems Lithions NO :(
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    That's ok James, I like to say it as I see it :wink:
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    If you use Pro3 Race you will instantly average 22 mph, and will 100% die at 2 mph on the Lithions. FACT.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If they are being discontinued anyone know what is replacing them - if anything ?

I think the Krylion is now called the Pro 4 Endurance.
    More problems but still living....
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There are 4 Pro4's
    PRO4 Service Course essentially replaces Pro 3 Race
    Pro3 Light is replaced by PRO4 Comp Limited Service Course and there's a PRO4 Comp Service Course sort of between them
    Krylion is replaced by PRO4 Endurance