Criteriums in Manchester for amateurs?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking to get involved with some crits this year but info is sparse on local meets. The only one I've found is a series in Ashton starting this April and runs for 20 weeks every Tuesday. Does anyone know of any more local events, meets or training perhaps?

Which brings me on to my next point - fitness level!

A mate of mine asked an organiser today for some more info and he said that as a guide, we'd need to roughly be able to hold 22-24mph for an hour and then sprint to 30+ for the final laps. Without questioning the guy, I'm assuming sustaining 24mph speeds are as part of grouped riders and not a guide for solo riding speeds? I've seen some guys I follow on Strava logging crit sessions with similar lap average speeds of mid-twenties but I wanted to make sure I'm not going to look ridiculous falling off the back of a pack and not having it in me to gain ground back.

I commute 15 miles per day, and do some longer 40+ mile rides at the weekends and feel I can comfortably maintain a nice 19-20mph when solo riding. I've rode in groups before at steady 16mph training rides where it feels almost effortless due to the grouped aero conditions of everyone on each others wheel.

Obviously someone at the front is always going to be doing the hard work and to get anywhere in a crit, you need to be pushing up the pack from the start but from the info above, do I sound like a likely candidate to do some justice to such an event?

I've never rode competitively before so any tips or advice would be very welcoming!
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The only way you can find out if you are fit enough is to try it. There's also Preston CDNW circuit races not too far from Manc. Last year there was a crit series near the velodrome too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Yes a bit of Googling tells me that Evans set up that series?

I've been researching some more and it's apparent that these entry level classes can be full of crashes and/or inexperienced riders cutting each other up. Youtube videos are full of them. I'm by no means amazing otherwise I wouldn't be on here asking, but I've got some group riding skills behind me with the local club. As always, you can't have too much group rideing experience in these areas.

Perhaps I'll give it a go but on my old bike. At least if I get nailed, I'll only have my dented pride to contend with! :oops:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yeah, my mate, an experienced rider got wiped out in the first one last year by a nobber who couldn't control his bike, straight into the barriers and a broken collar bone.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Yes, those average speeds are the speed of the pack, not the speed you'll need to be able to solo to hold on.

Go for it, try no to overlap wheels unless it's for a purpose and enjoy yourself. Youll soon find out if you're fit enough.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I wouldn't worry about falling off the back...you can always wait for them to come around again and tag back on :D

I've done my first two this year and seriously enjoyed both of them.
    Your estimates are about right...Cat 3/4 races and my speed in the pack was averaging 24-25mph topping out at 32-33 down the straight (wind behind!) at times.

When I got dropped my average lap speeds dropped to 20/21mph solo and around 22/23 when I was in a small splinter group. First race there were quite a few little groups but second race I was on my lonesome when dropped.

Sticking up near the front of the main group seems to be the key. Both times I drifted back and got dropped coming out of corners where the group puts on a little spurt. My old legs haven't got the acceleration in them yet but I'm working on it :lol:

As for crashes..I've seen a couple, luckily not involved but you do need to keep your wits about you and be aware what/who is around you especially on bends. Scary to see though but it hasn't put me off.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits