Free Coffee In Crystal Palace

fbeechinor
fbeechinor Posts: 35
edited September 2013 in The bottom bracket
We are opening a new Cycling Performance Centre in Crystal Place and tomorrow, Thursday 22nd, we were looking for BIke Radar Members to give us feedback on the facilities before we open to the public. If you are out for a ride and want to drop by between 1.30 and 3.00pm then there will be a Free coffee waiting for you. To see want we do you can visit www.cadenceperformance.com.

Comments

• bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I noticed your new shop yesterday ( I wondered how long it has been there as I have been off the bike for a while), and thought I must pop in and see what you have.. Pity your offer is for 1:30 till 3pm, I will be going past at 5 ish...
    Had a quick look at your website - looks very good but where are the shop opening times on it ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    No such thing a free coffee. This is how they lull you in, give you free samples of something mild until you get hooked and the next thing you know you are on full strength double espressos and mugging old ladies to fund your habit!

Any chance you can post me some please :lol:
  • Is 'BR favourite' Adrian Timmis involved with this venture?

CADENCE%2BNEW%2BSIGNAGE.jpg

Cadence Sport- Barton Under Needwood

website-outside.jpg

Cadence Performance - Crystal Palace
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Saw it yesterday on the way home from a swim at the sports centre, not a bad location, should catch the eye of most of those racing the crits in summer and also all those on the club runs that go down past it on the way to the North Downs. Do you sell normal stuff like any other bike shop as well as testing, bike fit, coaching etc? I take it you are after a different customer base than blue door bicycles?. Wasn't that a bmw (?) salesroom before? Anyway good luck! Too early for me as well.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    EDIT: Oops, didn't understand the post.

I don't think he's involved; his own shop hasn't been open very long, and he made no mention of it when I was there on Thursday.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • We are very different businesses that just happen to use the Cadence name - there's also a Cadence bike shop in Bath and a Cadence clothing brand, none of us are connected.

We trade as Cadence Cycling Performance Centre and focus on turbo training using Virtual reality turbos, bikefit, cycling physio, VO2 max testing, lactate threshold tests and a range of other cycling related services. We also want to really offer something different on the social side. There is an onsite cafe aimed just at cyclists and our coffee comes from Nude Espresso, which is the same coffee sold at the Rapha pop-up cafe in London. There's indoor bike parking and we have planty of events and classes planned over the coming months.

Unlike Adrian Timmis's business we don't sell branded bikes from different manufacturers- we have a small retail area that will focus on components, books and nutrition. Our target market is sportive and club cyclists so slightly different to Blue Door who are a really good LBS (along with SE20 cycles and others).

The free coffee offer was just to get some people through the door when we were doing a shakedown on some processes last Thursday. Apologies for the tight timeframe. In saying that, we would be happy to extend the offer - if anyone comes during this coming week and mentions this post in BR we will give you a free coffee - does that sound fair? No questions asked, no hard sell. And before you ask - we won't be able to post you the coffee - you'll have to come into the centre to get it and it will be limited to one coffee per person!

If you visit www.cadenceperformance.com it will give you more information about what we do.
  • Sorry one of the earlier posts asked for our opening hours

We open 7 days

10am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    7am - to 6pm Sat & Sunday
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    you should knock up a few commie russian style CCPC tops/t-shirts.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    Dropped in this morning to have a quick look: while they are still filling the shelves with bits & pieces this looks very promising. Had a good chat with Frank (the OP) who is clearly knowledgeable and passionate about his cycling and the training/fitness side of things. I'll be dropping by at some point to get my rather mediocre fitness measured up, should be interesting...

Frank - the only input I can give at this stage is to offer your coffees in large sizes as well as small ones :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    To be truthful lads, I was very disappointed with Cadence Performance in Crystal Palace, I wrote to them originally asking if they were the Adrian Timmis Cadence as that was who I wanted a bike fit with, they did not acknowledge just replied and acted as to all intense and purposes as if they were.

I know Adrian is quite Pished off that they have used the same colours as his company, same web side design, in fact if you didn't know then you would think it was part of the same company.

And when they replied in the email to me, that didn't sound like a professional open company.

If a company can't be straight up and truthful then I wouldn't use them.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My experience of Cadence has been 100% positive - excellent knowledgeable mechanics, decent coffee and they put a lot back into the sport at a local level, allowing my club to meet there after hours and acting as a clubhouse for the Crystal Palace crit series. Can't comment onthe bikefit side of things but I would say that they are "professional", "open", "straight up" and "truthful" although admittedly they aren't Adrian Timmis.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    BigMat wrote:
    My experience of Cadence has been 100% positive - excellent knowledgeable mechanics, decent coffee and they put a lot back into the sport at a local level, allowing my club to meet there after hours and acting as a clubhouse for the Crystal Palace crit series. Can't comment onthe bikefit side of things but I would say that they are "professional", "open", "straight up" and "truthful" although admittedly they aren't Adrian Timmis.

I pop in often after a ride for a friendly welcome and pretty good coffee(though they still cannot make a flat white properly and should pop down to Volcano works or Federation coffee in Brixton to see how its done).Lovely home made soda bread with butter and jam goes down a treat. I appreciate the bike parking inside too. Just wanted to say i had a bike fitting there, the cheapest one, for my cx commuter and lo and behold almost exact measurements as those i had from the Bike whisperer on my slpro. I think that reflects well.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Velonutter wrote:
    they have used the same colours as his company, same web side design, in fact if you didn't know then you would think it was part of the same company.
    Eh? The web sites look nothing like each other.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:
    they have used the same colours as his company, same web side design, in fact if you didn't know then you would think it was part of the same company.

The design is very similar with the similar colours and it doesn't detract from the fact that they tried to pass themselves off as Adrian!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Velonutter wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

The design is very similar with the similar colours and it doesn't detract from the fact that they tried to pass themselves off as Adrian!

I think you may have your wires a little crossed here.

Yes they have the same name and offer the same services but clearly can be seen they aren't related and I'd be gobsmacked if anyone therr claimed to part of this other Cadence. I don't think they need to at all they're excellent outfit themselves.

Nothing but praise for Cadence at Crystal Palace from me. Had an excellent bikefit, great staff and they do great cake.
  • Velonutter
    Nope Gazza I wrote directly to them asking mistakenly for Adrian, they replied clearly offering a service with no denial that I had been in contact with the wrong company.

In addition after talking to Adrian he is infuriated that they reproduce a similar name and colour scheme as his and I am not the first person to be confused with approaching the wrong company, in fact it is a common problem according to Adrian.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Velonutter wrote:
    Nope Gazza I wrote directly to them asking mistakenly for Adrian, they replied clearly offering a service with no denial that I had been in contact with the wrong company.
    Have you not noticed the way you write to people these days with two or three questions, and only get a reply to one of the questions? It's got to the point where I will *never* ask more than one question per email.

A combination of people being a) thick and b) busy easily accounts for this.

Far more likely this than one company actually trying to pass itself off as another - anyone clever enough to do that deliberately is also clever enough to realise that it's a fcuking stupid way of doing business, since it would p!ss off as many people as it would entice in.

But yes, there is a bit of blue on both sites. FFs, they really are not similar other than that.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Velonutter
    ChrisAOnABike Maybe you need to borrow my glasses :roll: :mrgreen:

White writing on black background

White writing on blue background

The same three main colours and in addition the passing off as Adrian, loads of my mates have noticed the same thing, as has Adrian. Maybe you need to open your mind a little! :roll:

Why didn't they just reply honestly, they would have had a load more respect from me.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Are they anything to do with Halfords in Dundee?
  • Big fan of Cadence, use them all the time. More so in the winter when the winter hell of the muddy pot holed roads of north Kent can be replaced with the Milan - San Remo. They also do amazingly good coffee and cake.

The service is great and their rides out with the retired pro are excellent at the weekends, if a little brutal at times.

As they say though their retail side is for emergency top-ups. The £7 for an inner tube is eye watering and I'll use Blue Door round the corner for those.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Velonutter wrote:
    ChrisAOnABike Maybe you need to borrow my glasses :roll: :mrgreen:

White writing on black background

White writing on blue background

The same three main colours and in addition the passing off as Adrian, loads of my mates have noticed the same thing, as has Adrian. Maybe you need to open your mind a little! :roll:

Why didn't they just reply honestly, they would have had a load more respect from me.

I'm going to jump in again on this.

One is in SE London the other in Staffordshire. Not as if they're around the corner from each other.

One is called Cadence performance centre the other cadence sport. Clear difference.

I'm damn sure both being blue is coincidental.

I think your casting a dispersion on a shop where there isn't one at all.

Cadence Performance Centre really do not have rely on associating itself with Cadence Sport they are an excellent outfit on their own.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    One is in SE London the other in Staffordshire. Not as if they're around the corner from each other.
    +1

Cadence seems to be the sort of place where you go there rather than just order online. How many people from Staffordshire are going trek down to South East London to use the services of Cadence, never mind get confused between the two?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Might have half a point if Cadence was a random word not associated with cycling.... but it isn't.

Its like saying XYZ Cycles in Aberdeen is trying to pass themselves off as ABC Cycles in Truro. :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Yossie
    t4tomo wrote:

Its like saying XYZ Cycles in Aberdeen is trying to pass themselves off as ABC Cycles in Truro.

They're not are they? The bastarrrds. There has top be some kind of law against that.
  • I just wanted to clarify the situation and reply to some of the points raised in the latest posts.

Firstly, we have no intention or desire to pass ourselves off as Adrian Timmis. If someone from our business replied to Velonutter’s enquiry not acknowledging the fact they are not Adrian Timmis (!) then it was a mistake. It is very likely that whoever answered that email had no idea who Adrian Timmis was or is. If that caused confusion then I apologise.
    In saying this if someone did genuinely enquire about a bike fit then surely they would have realised at some stage we are located 200 miles away in South London, not in Staffordshire where, Adrian’s and Cadence Sports reputation is well established.

On the issue of passing off….
    Cadence is a word in common use, and is common within the cycling world, and as a result cannot be copyrighted. In my post last year I mentioned Cadence Bike Shop in Bath, Cadence cycle clothing but there is also Cadence coaching, Cadence bike store and probably many others. In fact I think all of these other Cadences have been around a lot longer than both Adrian’s and our business.
    The fact that we both use blue in our colour schemes, in itself is purely coincidental and this could not be interpreted as passing off. Interestingly quite a few of the other Cadences happen to use blue and black colour schemes too.
    What is important is that our brand ‘marks’ are very different. As you can see from the shopfront images, and as some of you have kindly pointed out, our respective logos (and associated fonts etc) do not look anything like each other.
    Ironically, whilst this debate was underway, we were just having our new signage erected which, as it happens, is yellow and black. This new colour scheme was designed late last year on the advice of our designers. Their recommendation, which was supported by the feedback from our customers, was that the blue/black colour scheme was too serious/industrial and not very welcoming!.
    Apart from the aesthetic differences we are both very different business. We focus on Retül bike fits, which I believe Adrian doesn’t offer. Our busy café acts as a social hub for cyclists in South London and our fitness testing, virtual reality trainers and other services in our offering are very different to those at Cadence Sport.
    The bottom line is that we are different business in completely different parts of the country that just happen to share one word in our names. We have utmost respect for Adrian and his achievements in business and as a bike rider. He is providing a great and valuable service to cyclists in his community and we are offering a different range of services to riders in our catchment.
    We have no interest, desire or need to pretend we are anyone else to build our business. As you can see from the feedback on this thread we are doing just fine and have built a loyal following, all on our own.
  • Yossie
    Yellow and black, huh ............ So, just like XYZ Cycles in Aberdeen then?

I blame Wiggle.