Keeping a bike running smooth?

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi

Just purchased an expensive piece of carbon. Running SRAM Red groupset.

I am keen to make sure it stays running smooth and the bike is kept nice and clean. What are the essential items/fluids etc... I will need?

I was thinking:
- Bike Stand
- Chain cleaner
- Degreaser
- Lube

Does anyone else have any advice/tips?

Also, assuming its ridden for around 150/200 miles a week, how often would you give it some TLC?

Thanks

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Learn how the gears index, and how to set them up properly - and ensure the cables are properly lubricated to give yourself the best chance of smooth changes and braking.

Little and often would be my advice for keeping your bike running smoothly. Also, avoid the pressure washer for cleaning it - not good to force water where it shouldnt be (ie in past rubber seals on bearings etc)
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    A bike stand is probably one of the best things you can get - it makes it so much easier to maintain and clean the bike.

Not sure about the degreaser - i only use that to clean components which i have first removed from the bike, e.g. cassette, and then only infrequently. Degreaser as the name implies removes grease and oil, not always what you want .... i tend to stick to soapy water , rinse with non-soapy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Keep the degreaser and cleaners like Muc Off away from your paint and tyres unless you want your paint to go matt and shorten tyre life. As said look at Park Tool webby for maintenance tips and learn how to adjust your gears, check brakes, headset etc. A decent set of metric Allen keys is essential too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Keep the degreaser and cleaners like Muc Off away from your paint and tyres unless you want your paint to go matt and shorten tyre life.

Hmmm, never realised that! What should you use? I've always cleaned the tyres because the bikes live indoors.