What is hydraulic tap?

andy_welch
andy_welch Posts: 1,101
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was reading a review of the Trance X2 in MBR and they mentioned that is suffered from an annoying "hydraulic tap". I tried Googling the term, but it didn't help much although the MBR reviewer clearly thought that it was a common enough term that they didn't need to define it. So, what is it?

I'm guessing that it refers to the front forks although rather strangely it wasn't mentioned in the review of either of the other two bikes in the test that used the same fork!

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    could be literally anything.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be literally anything.
    And as it is MBR it will be anything.

Shock or fork or brake noise.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its like Spinal tap only less noisy.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    "Hydraulic knock" is where a movement at one end of a hydraulic system sends a pressure wave through it that comes out at the other end, knowing MBR the writer read about it somewhere 2 years ago and misquoted it in an incorrect context now.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy_welch
    benpinnick wrote:
    Its like Spinal tap only less noisy.

That'll do for me :D

Seriously, after reading that review I don't think I'll be buying MBR again. Their main criticism of the Trance was that it needed a shorter stem and wider bars. Surely that's just their preference and it's pretty easy to change anyway.

Cheers,

Andy
  • andy_welch
    "Hydraulic knock" is where a movement at one end of a hydraulic system sends a pressure wave through it that comes out at the other end, knowing MBR the writer read about it somewhere 2 years ago and misquoted it in an incorrect context now.

Simon

Ah, right, thanks. Googling hydraulic knock does seem to throw up a few more sensible explanations. It would appear to also refer to a knocking noise (or tapping noise I guess) caused by air in the system (in conjunction with the pressure wave that you mention I guess). I certainly didn't hear any such noises on the Trance that I tested (although maybe I wasn't hitting things hard enough) and it still seems strange that they would mention it as a fault on one bike when three of them shared the same fork.

Cheers,

Andy
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Obviously read the marketing blurb around fox FIT and believed it :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Seriously, after reading that review I don't think I'll be buying MBR again. Their main criticism of the Trance was that it needed a shorter stem and wider bars. Surely that's just their preference and it's pretty easy to change anyway.

Cheers,

Andy

lol i seen many a review in mbr were they drop it a point for silly stuff like that, tyres usually..