Cheap cycling sunglasses

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling and I find that when I am either going fast or the wind is head on, my eyes water like nothing before.

I see a lot of cyclists out on the road wearing sunglasses, I assume they are wearing them for the same reason as me, or simply to get the sun out of their eyes.

Can anyone recommend a pair of good sunglasses that are quite cheap? Black if possible thanks :)
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Amongst others, i have some Kuota multi lens ones (about £25). These have 5 sets of lenses that can be swapped - clear, yellow, orange, dark etc depending on the light conditions - ie clear at night, dark in the sun, yellow at dusk / heavily overcast weather.

Had them over a year and they are still perfectly fine.
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    have a look on deal extreme , iv got some nice foakleys from them for about £15
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Bolle Contours about £8 with postage - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-Contour-S ... B000NN7NK4

or

LIDL ones on sale tomorrow maybe worth a try - http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _29703.htm

The Bolle ones are brilliant though.
  • SimonPieman
    SimonPieman Posts: 206
    I have two pairs of Aldi cycling glasses, they are multi lense glasses with pouch and cleaning cloth and cost a whopping £3.99!!! Oh they work perfectly, not Oakley but hey who gives a toss at that price!!
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I'm new to road cycling and I find that when I am either going fast or the wind is head on, my eyes water like nothing before.

I see a lot of cyclists out on the road wearing sunglasses, I assume they are wearing them for the same reason as me, or simply to get the sun out of their eyes.

Can anyone recommend a pair of good sunglasses that are quite cheap? Black if possible thanks :)

BIG Insects in the eye at speed reallllly hurt :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    The glasses also stop all the dust going In your eyes. Feel your face after a twenty mile ride and it's covered in dust all that is going in your eyes if you don't wear shades.

Try

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/?gclid= ... fAodvFJYvw
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    +1 for Bolle (eBay).
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for the Bolle Contour glasses. Go for the ESP lens, it's great in changeable light (ie British summers !)

You can get them all over the place, Screwfix do good prices, just google them.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • tight_git
    tight_git Posts: 57
    Another vote for the Bolle Contour - get some clear &/or yellow lenses for duller days as well
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've only ever used dark and clear glasses, do the yellow/orange lenses really make that much difference on duller days?

Also I've seen some with blue lenses (endura spectrum) what benefits do these give?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    +1 for Bolle contours ESP and smoke. You can also get them with a polarising lens for £30.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I've used Endura Spectrum clear lens glasses which were good, but got scratched and replaced with some Tifosi Logic 3 lens glasses (£29.99) on ebay and very good.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • dd1
    dd1 Posts: 73
    First glasses i got were the DHB multi lens ones from wiggle. Great value and the blue lens does brighten things up on those dull days (most weekends)
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod Sram Red
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    Anyone recommend any that are quite small? I've got a bit of peanut head (motorcycle helmet is size: small) and most cycling glasses I've tried tend to be huge and make me look like Bono in Lycra. Tried the Lidl ones today and they're huge on my bonce.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I find eyewear absolutely essential for wind-protection, especially being a contact lense wearer, but I resent having to pay "designer sunglasses" prices for something so functional. I think I paid about £15 for mine in Decathlon. They stay on perfectly and provide all the protection I need.

Not exactly the same, but something like these, which actually looks like a good promo at the moment: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sg-btwin-500-id_8043855.html
  • +1 for the Bolle contours ESP and smoke. I bought mine off ebay trader, about 6 quid each, delivered. Cheap enough not to worry if you lose them. The lenses are very good quality as the meet several industrial eyeware quality standards. Or you could by the same thing in the bolle fashion range for abou 60 quid plus!!
    Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • I use JSP Eyeshields from B&Q for about a fiver. Seriously. No issues whatsoever.

B&Q link
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Gren82 wrote:
    Anyone recommend any that are quite small? I've got a bit of peanut head (motorcycle helmet is size: small) and most cycling glasses I've tried tend to be huge and make me look like Bono in Lycra. Tried the Lidl ones today and they're huge on my bonce.

My motorbike helmet is a 52-54 and I wear the Kuota glasses that Ribble sell.
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    +1 for Bolle on Ebay
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    My local builder's merchant has a load of work glasses that work well as cycling glasses, but I bought a pair from Decathlon: their specs are really good quality at very reasonable prices.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Can anyone reccomend any for a pumpkin head as I can never find any to fit my planet sized cranium :(
  • we have just launched some 'own label' styles which have been extremely popular including some great reviews by bike radar staff, take a look at them for a bargain http://www.ioptix.co.uk/sport/cycling-sunglasses
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    team47b wrote:

So do snow flakes, hail stones and gravel.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • awginger
    awginger Posts: 23
    I bought a pair of 'Oakley' ones from eBay for about £25. I am under no illusions that they are real but they are ones that come with 5 different sets of lenses so great for whether it is dark, raining or really sunny!
  • springer64
    springer64 Posts: 25
    dugliss wrote:
    Can anyone reccomend any for a pumpkin head as I can never find any to fit my planet sized cranium :(

I, too, am blessed in the noggin dept - Align Max helmet does make me look a little like a mushroom cloud, but it's the only one that fits properly. Anyway, enough of that - the Aldi glasses in this week's offers have proved a godsend. I've always struggled to find glasses big enough, but the half-frame ones are great. I picked up a yellow tint pair and a darker one for days like today and they fit a treat. Added bonus of being just £2.99, so not the end of the world if your powerful brain pushes out a bit further and breaks them.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    springer64 wrote:
    dugliss wrote:

I, too, am blessed in the noggin dept - Align Max helmet does make me look a little like a mushroom cloud, but it's the only one that fits properly. Anyway, enough of that - the Aldi glasses in this week's offers have proved a godsend. I've always struggled to find glasses big enough, but the half-frame ones are great. I picked up a yellow tint pair and a darker one for days like today and they fit a treat. Added bonus of being just £2.99, so not the end of the world if your powerful brain pushes out a bit further and breaks them.
    Same here (although it's been referred to more as a biscuit tin than a pumpkin). I've lost count of the different styles of Oakleys and Rudy glasses I've tried and sent back to Wiggle because they're far too small (thankfully their returns policy is great). However, I've just tried a couple of North Wave glasses from there (Devil and Blade), and these both seem to fit ok, so I'll be keeping both I think. Fairly cheap too, around £30 each IIRC.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    So do snow flakes, hail stones and gravel.[/quote]
    This is the main reason I wear them.

My delicate Northern eyes aren't exposed to very much sun so I do need sun protection if it's sunny but I always wear something to protect my eyes from gravel. I have been hit in the face by gravel and that was unpleasant enough but I imagine a stone in the eye might be painful enough to result in eye damage and/or a spill. I'm not taking any chances.
  • I wear glasses all the time when cycling. Main reason is keeping shi7e out your eyes.

I use Bolle Canebrake and XLC clear lens. Neither of which cost me more than £10 but unfortunately are now either hard to get hold of or discontinued.

Aldi & Lidl often do glasses for under £5.

The tech on these is just the same as glasses costing 10 X the price.

Beware on sizing though. Bolle Canebrakes fit me perfectly - any others are massive and need to be bent into shape.

Guess it depends on how big your head is!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You might look into the possibility that they don't HAVE to be, so called, cycling sunglasses. I use a pair of prescription sunglasses that work just fine AND they aren't "cycling" sunglasses. Imagine that. :wink: