Just bought my 2nd Road bike from Planet X

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Been searching for a 2nd hand bike for a while and with my orbea starting to miss gears and klang and rattle

ive bought myself a new Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red in white, best start hitting some proper miles make it worth while

thought id share my good news i hope it here on Friday so i can have a blast :mrgreen:

39yr old kid awaiting a new toy early 40th bday pressie (February)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Enjoy!

Lucky Barsteward! :evil:

( :wink: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Ricey155 wrote:
    Been searching for a 2nd hand bike for a while and with my orbea starting to miss gears and klang and rattle

ive bought myself a new Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red in white, best start hitting some proper miles make it worth while

thought id share my good news i hope it here on Friday so i can have a blast :mrgreen:

39yr old kid awaiting a new toy early 40th bday pressie (February)

I have the exact same bike except in black :wink:

Great bike, i'm out constantly on it.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Ricey155 wrote:
    You bought a new bike because your chain/cassette was worn and the bike was poorly maintained? Not having a go but that's pretty silly!

Congrats on the new purchase though! Get some pics up :D
  • ricey155
    PTR no ive bought a new bike as im in love with riding and hitting the miles a lot more

ive had the orbea which was only a cheap starter bike, pretty heavy & poor spec with Shimano 2200's the chain and sprockets need upgraded as pretty worn

always fancied a carbon bike with decent spec gears etc should be a hoot, if i can improve on my 19mph i'll be happy
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Ricey155 wrote:
    ive had the orbea which was only a cheap starter bike, pretty heavy & poor spec with Shimano 2200's the chain and sprockets need upgraded as pretty worn
    Ah fair play in that case, I assumed the orbea was half decent but in this case it's probably better to upgrade the whole bike especially if you're covering more miles.

I wish my current bike (an old, but reliable and reasonably light, specialized allez) was worse so I could justify the upgrade to a BMC SLC01... want one so much :lol:
  • ricey155
    wheels are heavy 2.4kg the pair and the paint is peeling off fast, frame is lovely nick but everything else is showing signs of wear

keeping it for the winter and turbo bike or a lender if a mates around for a ride :-) onwards to carbon can't wait
  • IT WAS YOU, GRRRR!!!! :twisted:

I was literally checking my bank balance to ensure funds to buy that bike (i assume it was the x-large ex-display), I went back to the planet x website to make the purchase and it had been sold! I nearly cried!! Where am I going to find another bike for a 6'4" noob with a £1000 budget with such a good spec? Any ideas people?

Back to the research and bike hunt I suppose, 4 weeks so far and my only decision thwarted at the last minute!! :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ^Germany is your best bet, Rose, Cube, Canyon etc...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    +1 for ddraver's suggestion.

Canyon do some well spec'd cheapish bikes in their outlet section.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.html?type=race&serie=&size=&state=&sort=new

Not much in there at the moment but keep an eye on it.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    Not looked at the PX site recently, but have you tried calling them, saying you were just about to hit "buy" and the bike had gone - tell 'em your budget and ask if they want the business, or should you go elsewhere? I've done this very successfully with a number of purchases from varied providers.

They have the choice of either getting a slightly lower margin on providing you something, or getting exactly 100% of nothing. I've got a Ti Pro Road, my son a SL Pro Carbon and we've both been very pleased with them. If you get to talk to the right guys, I suspect they won't go "that's the price, take it or leave it" (cos they know you can quite easily leave it) - assuming Dave is still around maybe he'll pop up shortly?
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • ricey155
    Sorry mate i was scanning around and rang them and nearly waited, good job i didn't or id be in the same situ

good luck with your quest, ive spent 2 months deciding :mrgreen:
    stenhouse wrote:
    IT WAS YOU, GRRRR!!!! :twisted:

I was literally checking my bank balance to ensure funds to buy that bike (i assume it was the x-large ex-display), I went back to the planet x website to make the purchase and it had been sold! I nearly cried!! Where am I going to find another bike for a 6'4" noob with a £1000 budget with such a good spec? Any ideas people?

Back to the research and bike hunt I suppose, 4 weeks so far and my only decision thwarted at the last minute!! :cry:
  • ricey155
    Arrived today its so light my old bike must have been made from LEAD

1st ride 2morro im like a kid in a candy store, early up give it a trash :mrgreen: