Beginner in need of some advice

Emar
Emar Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice.....I'm after an entry level road bike that would be adequate for my first couple of triathlons....a bit new to all this (moving into tri after a knee injury has forced me to reduce running mileage significantly), I've done a bit of research but am overwhelmed by the amount of bikes out there!!

I'm a 5'1 female so was either looking towards a WSD such as Trek, Fuji or Orbea, or one of Ribbles small alloy frames, the Trek at this level appear to have alloy forks whilst the others have carbon - would I notice the difference at my level of riding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Welcome to the world of tri racing!

Best thing you can do is go and sit on as many bikes as you can and try them out not only for size but how it fits you and feels. As makes/models tend to feel different to each rider and one thats right for one rider might not be so for another rider.

To answer your question regarding the fork you would notice a difference only if you had ridden one of the others also, so if you purchase a bike without a carbon fork and don't ride one you would know no different.

Would suggest you look at a local club too as you might be able to pick up a second hand bike at a massive saving.

Your not wrong about choice, when I first started road biking coming from an MTB background I was a little lost. I went and tried a few bikes and found one or two that I liked. Then I found a local bike shop who were so good with me and listened to all the questions I had and that made my mind up to purchase from them as I knew i was going to get excellent service (which I have since on many occasions) and the bike would be set up how I wanted it. Now I'm on the look out for a second bike I know where I am going to buy it from simply down to the service & quality advice my local shop give.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Emar
    Emar Posts: 3
    Thats great thanks for your advice...I'll try and get some test rides sorted!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Whilst it may seem logical to look at womens specific bikes, dont limit yourself to them until you have tried a few bikes out for fitment.

As is posted on pretty much every thread about selecting a bike, the number 1 priority is proper fitting. WSD bikes tend to have shorter top tubes due to the average female proportions being longer legs / shorter torso than a same height male. However, this doesnt mean you will strictly be better with a WSD bike - you may personally fit better on a very small male version (many female racers).

Hope this helps

PS welcome to the forum 8)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Small bikes are usually stiffer than big bikes of the same model so a carbon fork will probably make a difference to comfort compared to aluminium.
    Small riders should also consider small 650c wheels rather than the standard racing size 700c. A couple of years ago, virtually every serious triathlete used 650c but they help most with smaller riders because they fit inside a small frame without bodging the geometry.

Tri bikes are a bit different to road bike, the saddle is usually further forward to help with an earo position. You can replicate this on a std road bike by using an MTB style in-line seat-tube with zero layback. I suggest you go for a bike shop that will help you with fit, eg by replacing stem and seatpost to fit.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Emar wrote:
    I'm a 5'1 female so was either looking towards a WSD such as Trek, Fuji or Orbea, or one of Ribbles small alloy frames

Definitely go and test ride a few, my other half is 5'2 and most of the obvious choices from Trek et al were all too large even in the smallest frame sizes. Finally she tried a Giant in XS with a very sloping top tube and she is very happy with it
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    Got my first Tri this year, test-riding bikes proved fruitless (no one would let me! Planet-X were particularly poor) but happy with what I got in the end. Heard mixed things about Ribble but was impressed with the contact I had with them, fwiw.

(If your knee injury is non-trauma related btw, try "Treat Your Own Knees" by Jim Johnson).