Backpack/multi-use

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
So currently i been using a cheap £20 quid backpack for my commute to work which i got from a "aldi" like shop...

But it starting to show its quality as it isnt waterproof and my cloths for work ect just dont fit inside it well enough, also other issues ie confort on the back.

So looking to get a new backpack, but cycling isnt going to be the only use for it, as i will also be using it for running .(100k coming up soon)

I have looked around, and i found my old camelback but it just isnt suitible for running with gear inside as it doesnt hold the load on the hips enough and holds it more on the shoulders.

So far been looking into the
OMM Classic Marathon 25L
Seems to be good for running and gets good reviews all around, but be interested to know if anyone has one and has tried using it on the bike?

any other packs people have used and would suggest also please mention.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Vaude Bike Alpin Air 25+5

Had mine for over 3 years and it's still going strong. Used every day for commuting and been on quite a few multi day trips. Very comfortable to wear, fits all my stuff easily and plenty of extra smaller pockets for stuff like tools, maps etc. Easily fits a 2L bladder and fits securely with a well padded hip strap. It's waterproof with the included raincover which so far has kept out everything mother nature has thrown at it. The extra 5L (via a zip expander) is very handy for longer trips. It also has a helmet holder which fits on the outside and holds the helmet very securely when not on the bike.

Can't recommend it highly enough - although I've never ran with it.

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got a couple of Deuter Speed Lite rucksacks and one fron Inov-8. They are all rucksacks first and foremost but they take a reservoir if required (pretty much any 1 or 2 litre in the Inov-8, the Deuters are more specific but it fits like a glove and makes the most of the available space).

The Inov-8 is a running sack, weighs nothing and yet it has a 25l main compartment with one side and two hip pockets for smaller items. The zip-up main compartment looks as though it will last approx 5 mins but it is very tough and after a couple of years of frequent intense neglect it is holding up well. The zips are sealed and the fabric is water-resistant but there's a waterproof cover available. Lots of thought has gone into the strap management system and the draw cord compressor works very well if the pack isn't full.

The Deuters are a bit more conventional but that's not a bad thing. Small top pocket & inner pocket keeps things safe, well made no complaints.
  • 25l is a HUGE capacity. What will you be putting in there that will take up all that space?

They're a bit pricey, but have you looked at the offerings from Ergon? I'd have thought that the way they're designed to carry the weight lower down would be of great benefit to a runner.

I just ordered a BX2 from Swinnerton Cycles for £42. I'd imagine the 9.5l capacity is a bit small for you but you can get the bigger brother the BC2 with 20l capacity from them for £84.00 Linky

Review of BC2

BX2 Review
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    25l is a HUGE capacity. What will you be putting in there that will take up all that space?
    rohypnol, axe, chicken wire
  • The ergon packs arent really designed for runners and looking at the pack it quite bulky ie no compression straps to hold the contents down.

25 L i wouldnt say is a huge capacity its classed as a day sack size and considering my camelback mule is what, 12 L id say it when filled with bladder wouldnt have much more room for food+additional clothes ect

I would be tempted by the OMM 10L but the reviews arent great from runners who have it but the 25L has pretty much been the staple ultra marathon pack so it has a solid fanbase, though dont know many people who own one myself sadly :wink:

Atm main points for pack are:
    Has space for a camelback hydration 2 L system
    Secure fit/contents dont move around while running ie compression straps or tires to hold it down.
    Rainproof/resistant at least
    Space for, base layer,rainjacket(gore phantom,) spare socks and such, food,drinks firstaid, list goes on lol(100k /commuting to work with clothes+lunch)
    light, i am going to be running with it :lol:

again keep those suggestions coming, :)
    **edit just seen this one
    OMM's Adventure Light 20
    http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/index ... D23D09B53A
    Looks pretty sweet, is a 20L so is the next one down from the 25L but like all OMM sacks they can be added to, to increase space for stuff, which i like the idea off.....just price wise not sure if there are better/simular ones
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • RTW
    RTW Posts: 23
    I work for Ergon.

I would say that our Motion System Packs are best for cycling and commuting - giving the freedom of movement you need, and putting the load on your hips, so you aren't constantly hauling the weight high and low with your shoulders as you steer. These are the BD series and BC series packs with the frames. (The motion system is the ball joint).

The Perfect Fit backpacks (like the 2011 BX2 pack linked to at Swintertons and the new BX1, BX2 and BX3) are great for running with. They are expandable (BX2 and BX3), and also have a bungee cord included to secure everything. Getting the fit right is very simple with a really user friendly and fast back length adjustment. The 'Adaptive Carrier System' cradles the load, bringing it closer to you and compressing it (it is a 'sling' type trapeze which is behind the load and is attached to the lower part of the shoulder straps). This means the load is held better, rather than 'hanging' behind you.

You can kind of see what I mean here:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/bx2

For the price Swinterton is offering it for, I think a BX2 would be fantastic value for money, biased as I may be.