Blow.....Torch

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Planning on using the good old Butane blow torch to remove some braze ons and clean up with a Dremel - anyone got a better way of removing braze ons?

Comments

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Planning on using the good old Butane blow torch to remove some bras and clean up with a Dremel - anyone got a better way of removing bras?

FTFY...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Don't Geoff. Your blow torch won't have the grunt (flame enthalpy) to melt the braze without you having to dwell so long on the braze that you are in major danger of muggering up the tubes.

You need something with a lot more point heat that you can apply just to the braze-on itself - I'd take it to an engineering firm and let them touch an oxyacetylene flame - let the braze-on conduct the heat to the braze and melt it.

A butane flame is like a really heavy rubber sledgehammer when what you need is a chipping hammer.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    I had a feeling that butane may only 'tickle' it.....

I need to get the frame fillet brazed anyway, so, I guess it wil have to go back to Argos cycles..... :-(

In other news, I would like to remove the welded on canti mounts on my Surly 1 x 1 - I would guess that Dremel and cutting disk may be the only option here.
  • Naive perhaps, but won't an angle grinder get them off?

Makes sparks, too!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I had a feeling that butane may only 'tickle' it.....

I need to get the frame fillet brazed anyway, so, I guess it wil have to go back to Argos cycles..... :-(

In other news, I would like to remove the welded on canti mounts on my Surly 1 x 1 - I would guess that Dremel and cutting disk may be the only option here.

Yup. Fire up the angle grinder. After that then the dremel and file are the way to go. To restore a perfectly smooth surface I can lead any scars for you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Big petrol angle grinder, with Castrol R in the fuel for extra fragrance.
  • gtvlusso
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Big petrol angle grinder, with Castrol R in the fuel for extra fragrance.

I think you mean a 'diamond cutter'......I can see the house being split into or me being pulled along the garden by the damn thing, in some cartoon fashion.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Otherwise known as a paddys motorbike.
    I would be inclined to get some 40mm cutting disks for the Drexel and use that. Less likely to make a pigs ear of it.