What size tyres - 25cc or 28cc?

sporttourer
sporttourer Posts: 60
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Sorry, I know this is probably asked time and time again.

Currently have a Tricross Sport with Mavic CXP22 rims & standard Specialized 700 x 32cc Borough CX Sport tyres.
Want to change tyres to a more road specific type to be a bit quicker but be long lasting, good puncture resistance & good grip in all weather conditions, to use all year round. I appreciate there will be compromises to be made with regard to comfort/grip/punture proofness! Majority of riding is on roads although they are pretty rough and bumpy in a lot of instances, some smooth tarmac and also well surfaced trails ( not that often).

Have narrowed choice down to Continental GP 4 seasons, Schwalbe Durano or Specialized All condition Armadillo.
Main dilemma is whether to go for 28cc or 25cc.
Half of me says stay safe and go for 28's for the wet/slipy conditions - but will that be a big enough improvement over the 32s I already have?

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I've just gone the other way, upsized to schwalbe marathon supreme 32mm tyres. No punctures in the last 6 months / 3000 miles.

I woudn't go below a 28 commuting, and wider tyre will also fit cyclocross rims better than 25. Have had a good run with Conti 4 seasons, but still got the odd puncture.

Depends what you want, if its absolute reliability that you won't puncture and will get to work on time, plus a bit more comfort on dodgy roads, then maybe go bigger?
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    I've owned some Conti GP 4 Seasons, the 28mm ones are more like 26mm.

Choosing tyre width is dependent on your weight and road conditions. If you're average wieght and normal roads then 28mm is suitable.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    28mm is about the right balance between comfort and speed for commuting.

You'll also appreciate the extra rubber on the road in winter
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    25mm Gatorskins for me. No desire for anything bigger. I doubt there's any noticeable difference in grip even when it's wet or slippy.
  • tomb353 wrote:
    I've just gone the other way, upsized to schwalbe marathon supreme 32mm tyres. No punctures in the last 6 months / 3000 miles.

I woudn't go below a 28 commuting, and wider tyre will also fit cyclocross rims better than 25. Have had a good run with Conti 4 seasons, but still got the odd puncture.

Depends what you want, if its absolute reliability that you won't puncture and will get to work on time, plus a bit more comfort on dodgy roads, then maybe go bigger?

The rims on the tricross sport are quite narrow - Mavic CXP22's. I am also just over 10st and 5ft 8" tall so quite skinny.
    Do not want to go any bigger than I already have. I am also doing some sportives this year. Whilst nobody wants punctures I am not after bullet proof tyres just something with a bit of protection over normal tyres but still fast on the road with good grip.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I'd say stick with the 28s but get the folding bead version to save some valuable rotating weight. Plus from a purely aesthetic point of view, slightly wider tyres will look better on a cx bike, helps to fill the 'arches' so to speak.

28 will fit fine on the mavic cxp22 rims, that's what I use. Have also fitted 35c cx tyres on them for racing with no problems either.