best buy mountain bike under £450

sandy0409
sandy0409 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am looking for a bit of advise, I'm buying my husband a mountain bike for his birthday and have looked at the following:
Claud Butler Shaman £399
Carrera Vulcan Mountain Bike £379
Carrera Kraken Mountain Bike £449

He would like hydraulic brakes & the Carrera Vulcan doesn't have them, are any of these bikes any good or are there better options anyone could make me aware of.

Another important note he is not a serious Mountain bike rider more a good day out with the kids around the forest tracks of clumber park etc.

Thankyou in advance for any help you can give me. :wink:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The new Vulcan has Clarks skeletal hydraulic brakes - but the Kraken is overall a better bike, with a well controlled fork, good 9 speed kit and finishing parts.

The Shamen is pretty poor, lowly fork, basic 7 speed drivetrain with limited range, really would avoid this one. To be frank, it's shite.

If you can stretch to £500 the king of budget bikes is the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1
  • Thankyou for your quick response Supersonic, do you know where I would be able to purchase a Decathlon Rockrider 8.1
    if I were to stretch the budget?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only Decathlon ;-): theyhave about 6 stores I think?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

Superb spec for the money. Nice RockShox, the best drivetrain you'll find on any bike of this price, great brakes, light frame and low overall weight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the same money as the Decathlon, there is the voodoo hoodoo at Halfords, not quite as nice a spec, butsome prefer the way it rides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.