So, I got Evans Cycles' vouchers

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
So I got £110 in Evans Cycles' vouchers.

What should I get? Advice/Ideas welcome.

Personally was thinking:

Sun glasses[/ul]
Cycle camera - if there is a cheapish decent version that doesn't make me look like a 'nark'
Sports GPS Watch - I like G-shocks for sports but they don't sell those in Evans
Helmet - I need a new helmet (not a helmet debate I choose to wear one). My old one is broken.

Advice/Ideas welcome.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Helmet.

Nothing is worse than a gimpy helmet.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Helmet's are useless. Dont waste your money on one. Get a basket and some handlebar tassles - they do sell them right?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Down payment on Ui2. Go on. Do it. You know you want to. You just need to take that first step.

Or a decent Gore zip up top with removable sleeves, which costs errr £110. Best thing I own cycling clothes-wise.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I recently bought a new helmet and tried loads on for fit. One thing I didn't take into account is that when riding over bumps the helmet sometimes bangs againt the adjuster thing on the back. It's really annoying, so check fit carefully as a banging helmet is quite irritating. A gimpy banging helmet would be even worse.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Helmet, its a no-brainer. Put any left over vouchers towards some fly shades.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Helmet, its a no-brainer. Put any left over vouchers towards some fly shades.
    This, I was thinking:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... t-ec033707
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec033401

But these would be things I'd buy anyway.. the Camera would be a little more of a treat.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just had a look at the prices.

When the hell did helmets get so expensive?!?!?!

They are all a good £20-£50 more than they were a few years ago.
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But these would be things I'd buy anyway.. the Camera would be a little more of a treat.
    Assuming it's your birthday treat (happy birthday by the way) you should blow it on a treat. Unless money is particularly tight, which I don't think it is from other threads.
    So, spoil yourself.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Get Evans to pricematch PX who are doing 50% off helmets atm...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Try on before you buy with helmets. It turns out I have a Giro shaped head, not Specialized, and certainly not Bell (thankfully). There's a no returns policy on helmets with most places, so an in person purchase is definitely preferable.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • DonDaddyD
    I bought my Specialized Propero in 2008 for £70. Back then that was BIG money for me and the model above that was the S-works with carbon fibre bits. I've just found out that I can repair the Propero - I can replace the broken retention straps. Would it be gimpy if I did this as I don't really want to spend over £70 on a helmet for one that I actually like the look of.

I could, for example, replace my 105 SPD pedals with Ultegra ones.
    Food Chain number = 4

• lardboy wrote:
    Try on before you buy with helmets. It turns out I have a Giro shaped head, not Specialized, and certainly not Bell (thankfully). There's a no returns policy on helmets with most places, so an in person purchase is definitely preferable.

Agreed. However I'm pretty sure that at least one of DDD's extremities is 'Bell-shaped'. :?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I bought my Specialized Propero in 2008 for £70. Back then that was BIG money for me and the model above that was the S-works with carbon fibre bits. I've just found out that I can repair the Propero - I can replace the broken retention straps. Would it be gimpy if I did this as I don't really want to spend over £70 on a helmet for one that I actually like the look of.

I could, for example, replace my 105 SPD pedals with Ultegra ones.

Fix the helmet, keep the 105 pedals. As said above, it's your birthday - splash out on something that's really just a treat.

Oh, and Happy Birthday BTW!
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks all.

My OCD means I like closure so: I got a water bottle with energy gels, bars, powder in it, a helmet, cycling jersey and a pair of bib shorts.

All in all not bad and I may have more vouchers comign to me. I was going to get glasses but I lose, break, scratch, chew the arms of them so I thought better of it. This did confirm one thing to me though - as I contemplated my oldest kit is some 5-6 years old and I still wear it - I don't spend nearly enough on cycling kit.
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This did confirm one thing to me though - as I contemplated my oldest kit is some 5-6 years old and I still wear it - I don't spend nearly as much as some people on here on cycling kit.
    FTFY