Cyclist Down, Bredbury Stockport

fossyant
fossyant Posts: 2,549
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
What a morning I hope to never have again

Bike was punctured this morning, so I was running late (which ended up being good fortune).

Waiting to pull onto A560 in Woodley, was passed by two roadies. Pulled on to follow. Lights green, passed one, through next lights, closing on first cyclist just 100 yards behind him. Cyclist passes through junction in the outside lane, car inside lane.

Next thing car swings right and takes the cyclist down right in front of me. There is no right turn, and there are chevrons. Cyclist literally stops dead and crashes down head first.

Jump off bike check he's OK, told him not to move, driver is useless - does nothing. Second cyclist stops and stays with the guy on the floor.

I take over, phone ambulance. Police car passing so he's now with cyclist too. Ambulance on scene fast.

Driver still saying nothing.

Police move bike, cyclist still 'told' to stay down until ambulance guys check him over. Looks OK - few cuts, wrecked top and helmet - just one of those accidents where a helmet did it's job - saved his head. Still had a couple of cuts to his face.

A chap comes over and starts asking questions - I say. "Excuse me, but who are you" - chap explains he's a friend of the guy on the road and was in the traffic as we had passed, then saw him on the ground.

I then took photos of the scene (asked cyclist if it was OK) - took car reg etc etc. - text book !!!

I happen to know the cyclist - we regularly chat at junctions, and it's usually in the same area but on the way home !

I offer too wheel the bike home, but the pub owner comes out and asks if he can take the bike in for us - I happen to know the owner's daughter (she is in the same class as my son).

Got his details and texted him - awaiting to see if he responds.

Still shaken up now, went on auto pilot dealing with the scene.

Oh and 4 x Ay-ups still don't save you from these idiots.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hope the cyclist is OK.
    Why did the car swerve?

You sound a little shaken up. I recommend a new bike to calm your nerves.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fossyant
    I've texted him - hopefully will respond when patched up.

No idea why the driver turned - there isn't a turning, I suspect he went to do a u-turn without looking. Hopefully the cops will throw the book at him.

Very shook up actually, as I literally was a split second away from it being me also and it's bringing back all the emotions of my accident 3 years ago, which I'm still fighting the legal battle, and recovery from the injuries.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Ouch, sounds unpleasant. Not very nice for you, but I'm glad you were there sounds like you did all the right things.
    Well done, the world needs more people like you.
  • what he said ^^^

i hope if im ever unfortunate enough to be hit by a car that there is someone like you nearby!!

fair play to you, hope you and the poor chap are ok.
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • fossyant
    The guy is just out of A&E - OK, now't broken and shook up. Now sorting getting his bike back to him.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Well done mate. Gotta look out for each other as it certainly seems the drivers aren't worrying about us sometimes.