Newbie removing forks - problem

MTB-Matt
MTB-Matt Posts: 46
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am attempting to replace my Tora TK fork with a FOX 32 Talas that i have bought second hand. I thought it was going to be fairily straight forward but a small problem has arisen.

I removed the top cap, removed the handlebar stem and the spacers and from all indications the fork should now drop down ready to have the bearing race removed and fitted to the new FOX fork.

The problem is that the forks still seem very tightly fitted to the bike with no way of them looking like they will slide out.

The bike is only 6 months old and in very good nick, is there a different type of fork steerer that needs special tools to remove it?

Please can someone help as i would realy like to complete the job today if possible.

BYW i have done a search on the forum and also watched numerous videos on you tube all showing the forks simply sliding out easily.

Ta! Matt

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and in the FAQs above we have
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12689155
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB-Matt
    edited March 2012
    Ok, i hold my hands up. I did a search and didnt check FAQ's......must try harder!

Worked a treat! Looks like the bike shop never greased the bearings though which is a bit annoying.

Thankyou Nick
  • Most headsets have fairly tight grip on the steerer, it's not out of the ordinary. There may be a conical wedge you can release, if not, give the top of the steerer a sharp tap with a rubber mallet, making sure the bottom of the fork legs are clear of the ground. They will come free.
    Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared - Rickenbacker.
  • MTB-Matt
    High-Tower wrote:
    Most headsets have fairly tight grip on the steerer, it's not out of the ordinary. There may be a conical wedge you can release, if not, give the top of the steerer a sharp tap with a rubber mallet, making sure the bottom of the fork legs are clear of the ground. They will come free.

Thanks it did have the wedged ring fitted. Appreciate the replies.