Seat a bit hard

PhildB
PhildB Posts: 73
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I have a short cycle to work, daily, sitting on the saddle straight off it feels okay, but after about 10 minutes (especially if the road's bumpy), it's just not comfortable. I'm used to a hybrid though which had a very padded seat, this is my first road bike.

I dont cycle to work with padded shorts though.. - the commute is so short, I'm just in my civvies. For this reason, is it worth getting one of those padded saddle covers? Or do you reckon i'll get used to it in time...

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Might be worth getting some underwear with a slim pad that is designed to be worn with normal clothes?

eg this: http://www.rapha.cc/merino-boxers
  • PhildB
    Hmmm - not a bad suggestion... - will give them some thought, - as they're a little pricey, - thanks.
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives. IIRC there maybe something here...http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/default.asp?source=aw
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If your sit bones sink into anything soft* other bits touch the saddle and can cause discomfort, the sit bones are there to elevate you. For this reason it is probably best to avoid adding any extra padding. If you are thin then the sit bones will hurt for a few weeks then never again in the whole of your life ever ever! If you are overweight then, well you know what comes next... cheaper alternative to rapha:D

*by 'anything soft' I mean foam, padding, extra fat
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • PhildB
    I'm about the right weight for my height, maybe on the heavier side, but that's because of muscle, my arse is pretty lean :lol:

I reckon it'll get more comfortable as time goes on... - also, I might move the saddle forwards a little bit... - so i'm sitting a little more on the rear of the saddle... - where it's thicker...

thanks also for that other link..
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    PhildB wrote:
    I reckon it'll get more comfortable as time goes on... - also, I might move the saddle forwards a little bit... - so i'm sitting a little more on the rear of the saddle... - where it's thicker...
    Not sure that'll work. Remember your legs are going forwards and backwards along the side of the saddle; you'll just creep forwards.

Change of saddle (if you're just cruising to work, a bigger saddle is no hassle), a carbon seatpost to take out some of the sting, or some Rule 5?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012