iThink....iTalk....iMad....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
What did you think about or chunter on about as you cycled in this morning?

I thought about an ongoing issue I have with health insurance and whether or not I should get legal on their butts and sang the song to Bob the Builder (junior was up far to early for me to be 'creative'....

I sometimes chunter on about the weather to myself.....or how tough a hill is for my tired old legs

What's your thought/chunter/insane ravings when you are cycling?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Best thing about rides is that I don't think much.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought about:

the pain in my back and neck (caused by being knocked off my bike in the middle of December), and how I really should get a doctor's appointment to check it out
    whether I should go with my wife to see my step mother tonight to look at drawing up a plan for our garden, or ditch it and go for a pint with my mate who gets back from 3 weeks in Australia today
    whether the ticking noise was coming from my drive train, the bottom bracket, my pedals, my cleats or my knees

I think that was about it today. I often spend a lot of time considering stuff relating to work. I find it's a good way to get things prioritised for the day ahead in the morning, and to get things out of my system on the way home so I don't worry about work once I get in. I often come up with solutions to work problems while cycling to or from work.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think about how am i going to get to work without getting mown down.

also, why is that girl on her shopper jumping all the red lights.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I need music in my left ear to avoid bob the builder, yellow sumarine and other tortuouse songs entering my void.

Have thankfully reached a point of zen where my subconscious deals with adison lee cabs, nodders and anyone trying to put power awesome down behind me.
  • I thought about how much I was enjoying riding my first road bike despite the irritating rub from the slightly-too-narrow mudguards. I also mused on the irony of this after I spent so much time scoffing at all the "drop-bar road bikes are much better than hybrids and slicked-up MTBs" stuff from the majority of posters here. Now I'm inclined to believe you all.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I have absolutely no recollection of what was going through my mind most of the time. On several occasions I thought how it would benefit people if they looked where they were going. I thought "Is that Clarkey C..OH F#CK CAR!" at one point. As I turned right and a car coming the other way swung on to my side of the road to get round the stationary car in front of it.
  • I thought about how much I was enjoying riding my first road bike despite the irritating rub from the slightly-too-narrow mudguards. I also mused on the irony of this after I spent so much time scoffing at all the "drop-bar road bikes are much better than hybrids and slicked-up MTBs" stuff from the majority of posters here. Now I'm inclined to believe you all.

Another member of the Hybrid Liberation Front subverted and turned against his former handlers. The truth is a powerful weapon. If there is any hope, it lies with the nodders.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Pretty sure I don't think of much when cycling, other than what happens to be around me at that moment in time.
    1. Hmm, car is close.
    2. Nice bike.
    3. What's that rattle.
    4. They're quick.
    5. Plus appreciating that women are dressing for summer now.

Often 1 follows too much thinking on 5 as mind wanders.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    dhope wrote:
    Pretty sure I don't think of much when cycling, other than what happens to be around me at that moment in time.
    1. Hmm, car is close.
    2. Nice bike.
    3. What's that rattle.
    4. They're quick.

This.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    vermin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    1. Hmm, car is close.
    2. Nice bike.
    3. What's that rattle.
    4. They're quick.

This.

Now i think about it it is mainly this... with the ocassional my chain definitly needs lubing.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • flimflam_machine
    flimflam_machine Posts: 263
    edited March 2012
    I thought about how much I was enjoying riding my first road bike despite the irritating rub from the slightly-too-narrow mudguards. I also mused on the irony of this after I spent so much time scoffing at all the "drop-bar road bikes are much better than hybrids and slicked-up MTBs" stuff from the majority of posters here. Now I'm inclined to believe you all.

Another member of the Hybrid Liberation Front subverted and turned against his former handlers. The truth is a powerful weapon. If there is any hope, it lies with the nodders.

I still enjoy riding my slicked-up MTB/hybrid thingy, and it's great for urban-warrior style riding, but I used to think that road bikes were rubbish with their slack handling, overly hard ride, poor brakes and pointless hand positions that you never used. However, I'm just really enjoying the longer legs of my road bike and the hands-on-hoods position is really comfy; it makes me want to take it out into the coutryside. It helped also that someone complimented my bike this morning.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dhope wrote:
    1. Hmm, car is close.
    2. Nice bike.
    3. What's that rattle.
    4. They're quick.

Definitely NOT this (except a tiny bit of 1 and a very occasional 3).

I really have no idea what I think about - though I can be pretty sure I'll be thinking about what I think about next time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    In RP it was OhGod OhGod my lungs hurt, my legs hurt. Please be a PB! Please be a PB. This had better be a f*cking PB. Nooooo Car! Stupid car, stupid legs. Push push push.

Ow.

No PB's.

:(
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    dhope wrote:
    1. Hmm, car is close.
    2. Nice bike.
    3. What's that rattle.
    4. They're quick.

That'll do for me too. I actually find it pretty hard to have cohesive thoughts as I cycle, but I suspect that is a good thing. I get the impression that the act of cycling (I was the same way when I ran too) is quite meditative and it is just the junk that has been rattling pointlessly around my mind that gets dealt with without me particularly being aware of it.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    On the old full commute it was either, what shall I post about today on the BR forum, or singing part of a song over and over that a) I didn't know very well b) annoyed the hell out of me or c) both.

Now I only ride an old beater a mile to the train station it's normally "sh!t I'm late, sh!t I'm late, fecking crappy plastic pedals, sh!t I'm late" in the evening I'm normally wishing I didn't live at the top of a hill.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017