SPD's v Crank Brothers

hobbo31
hobbo31 Posts: 107
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting some new pedals but can't decide which ones, like the big platform of the Clank Bros but don't know what there like, used spds for years on normal trail rides, any feed back would be great
Giant Trance X1 2008
Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
Ribble Road Bike
Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015

Comments

• gixer5
    gixer5 Posts: 38
    I used SPD's years ago when I first started cycling, but when I returned to cycling a couple of years ago I liked the idea of the low maintenance and no setup with the Crank Brothers (and they look good). I now have two sets. The candy c on my commuter, which has been used in all weathers for the past two and half years without any problems and no maintenance (apart from cleaning). I also have the eggbeater 3 on my Mojo SL. There are two release angles which can be set by having the cleat with the dots on your left or right shoe. I use the later release angle most of the time, but swap to the earlier release when the conditions are really slippy i.e. snow and ice. In my opinion they a very good and I would definitely recommend them.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Which Crank Brothers are you looking at? Presumably Mallets if you're talking about a big cage.

Shimano are more reliable, but heavier. They have less float than CB, tend to feel a bit more 'fixed', but IMO also have a more distinct clip in/out. They do some with platforms, either trail types like the new XTRs or like the M647s.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Shimano's trail spds are pretty good but the platform doesn't do much ime. Despite claims of increased contact area it's difficult to feel anything different when wearing spd shoes they are not like flats or other caged pedals.

One of the biggest advantages is that they are easier to flip round & clip into on a techy section but otherwise I find them no different to normal spd pedals.
  • Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    I am fitting some CB Mallet 2's on my FS Spesh this weekend, and using Shimano AM45 SPD's
    also new purchase, I normaly use Flats, but need more control a good 5hr blast in Epping Forest
    should give me a Idea if there any good. I send back a review for what it's worth.

From what I've read the Mallets should be just the job, Clipped or Flat, which suits me fine.
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Hacker60 wrote:
    I am fitting some CB Mallet 2's on my FS Spesh this weekend, and using Shimano AM45 SPD's
    also new purchase, I normaly use Flats, but need more control a good 5hr blast in Epping Forest
    should give me a Idea if there any good. I send back a review for what it's worth.

From what I've read the Mallets should be just the job, Clipped or Flat, which suits me fine.
    They do not work as flats at all. The platform is there only to assist with clipping in.
  • Hacker60
    Only what I read, so just marketing BS then, so what would you recommend then ? need some prey quick
    they look the part and the pins look like should hit the flat part of the soles.

I suppose I want a clip in pedal that also is a useable Falt, I am asking for the impossible ?
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes - one or the other, anything trying to do both will generally but a bit rubbish at either.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    Thanks for all that going to get so crank brothers mallets and give them a go
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mallets on both my mtbs. Fantastic. Pins do enough if for some reason you don't get engaged first time. Get the cleats the right way round for easy release angle, Good float. Just fantastic pedals.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Hacker60
    Lostboy, missing the clip is my fear that's why I want Flat support, and as it's my
    first venture into SPD thought I would take it carefully as my riding style is full-on.

Going to pick up my pedals tomorrow, Epping Forest Sunday 7am, just me and my Mallets
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom