Body Armour help needed

DoubleYouEss
DoubleYouEss Posts: 68
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for some good quality body armour for use in Morzine this summer.

I will be using 661 race knee pads

I want something that will protect my back, chest and shoulders was thinking of using separate elbow pads as my main concern is getting too hot.

I'm rubbish in the heat so want something that will do everything possible to keep me cool..

So far the best product I have seen is the Dainese Performance Armour (Short Sleeve)

Any help would be great

Cheers!

Comments

• was speaking to the LBS owner the other day about Morzine and protection last week.

Mostly he uses the 661 sub top, which offers light protection, and an EVOC backpack which has a built in back protector.

But he does also have the 661 pressure suit if he's planning on hitting any of the bigger DH routes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have had a sub gear ls since they first appeared. It's great at shrugging off tree scrapes and minor rolling impacts - the sort of thing that might give you a bruise or a graze - but for big pointy rocks and/or higher speeds I would prefer something more substantial.

If you want to stay cool though, the sub gear wicks and disperses perspiration amazingly well. I sweat more than a Geordie in a maths test but I can feel myself cooling down whenever I stop in the sub gear top, even on a hot summer's day.

The short sleeve is also pretty good with some 661 Rhythm elbow guards if it's a mince + gnar kindof ride.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As .blitz, I have sub gear short top and use fox launch elbows and knee pads, your never gonna stop a break but minor offs are catered for well.

I would go pressure suit if your planning on DH stuff all day long.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    .blitz wrote:
    I sweat more than a Geordie in a maths test
    :lol:

+1 for the 661 Subgear (& Kyle Strait Knees). I have the long sleeve and didn't get too hot last summer in the Alps (and I was wearing it on some pretty serious climbs too)

But like others have said - it will really only prevent minor scrapes & bruises. Thinking of getting something a bit more substantial for the DH season this year
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    .blitz wrote:
    I sweat more than a Geordie in a maths test
    :lol:
    Hey, i study structural engineering in my degree! :wink: ok so i do sweat a bit in the tests...

As for the subgear i've rode in the alps and 661's subgear won't do a thing to protect you from the kind of falls you're looking at there. It will however provide protection against arrogant frogs in the lift queues barging through!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    As for the subgear i've rode in the alps and 661's subgear won't do a thing to protect you from the kind of falls you're looking at there.

> if you're planning on doing the DH at least, I agree. I wore a 661 pressure suite all of the time and never really overheated. If you do go down this route, the sizing is on the very generous size... I'm 5'10 and average build, and the SM still comes up baggy on me. I feel like I have to start drinking protein shakes everytime I go near the thing!