Cube acid 2010

Daveandhiscube
Daveandhiscube Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi, i been into riding seriously for 3 years or so. I have a cube acid which does me proud, however the last year or so i have been riding more technical stuff, trail etc. Can anyone give me any tips to make my cube more trail happy, as its supposed to be a XC bike. Was wondering should i change to a shorter stem and longer bar? Currently 680 bar, and fsa 190 stem.

Ps would love to buy a full sus but 2 young kids stop that from happening!!

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    680 is not exactly narrow - if you get on well with what you have I'd leave it. A shorter stem and wider bar can add stability and a lighter steering feel, but too wide and you may have problems.

I'd think about a 120mm fork, something like a Reba.
  • Thanks, would a 120mm fork be ok on a frame that currently has a 100mm?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    It'll void your warranty and put a bit more stress on the frame potentially, assuming the axle to crown length changes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All the above is true, but not to be worried about. I'd happily add a 120 mm reba to your frame without a second's thought. If you keep the original forks you can always swap them back if something goes wrong.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I have a 130 on my Cube Attention, pretty much identical frame to the acid, and I have had no problems so far. If anything it greatly improves the geometry in my opinion!
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Acid is/was warrantied for 120mm.
  • Thanks guys ill look into that, looks like i have a lot to learn! What axle do i have? Rock shox dart 3? Dont really understand it although i know what a thru axle is and its not that!!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Thanks guys ill look into that, looks like i have a lot to learn! What axle do i have? Rock shox dart 3? Dont really understand it although i know what a thru axle is and its not that!!

Most likely a standard 9mm QR

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUp25fWbb0SKnBFiFNoehFLqT_W1WniEEkoKb23pKbnMhHeA7xMQ
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dart 3 will be standard QR.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    supersonic wrote:
    The Acid is/was warrantied for 120mm.

Hmmm, looked at putting a 120mm in my brothers and when we checked it said the warranty would be voided by using a fork with more travel than the one provided. Having said that I wouldn't have any worries putting a 120mm fork in there, I"m sure the bike would be fine, my brother on the other hand didn't want to.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Does is still have the racing ralph rear tyre from when it was new? If so I go for something a little more grippy..even if its just buying one nobby nick for the front and putting your old nobby nic on the back..
    Possibly think about upgrading the brakes too..if its got the hayes stroker that my AMS had, you might want to swap those too.

When I had my AMS I bought a set of fat albert tyres and avid elixer brakes and it completely changed the bike (for the better of course)