pedals pedals pedals. . . .

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 465
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am picking up my Lurvely new Trek EX8 on Thurs and have to decide which pedals to put on it (it still astounds me that a £2.3k bike doesn't come with diamond encrusted pedals). I have the following thoughts...

1. I currently have V8's on my Hardtail, which are fine, but as I have size 12 feet, wouldn't mind a bit more platform area.
2. As part of the deal I had a big bunce of shop credit to spend, which I am working my way through nicely - so its kind of not like real money I'm spending if you like
3. I have been seduced by a set of Spike Spank pedals in the shop, but at £100 its just crazy money
4. I am a big lump so they need to be strong :oops:

So, my options are:

Spike Spike spanks at £100 20120130_022436633398.jpg
Wellgo B144 at £4552878.jpg
Some V12's at £45 1074.jpg
buy some Superstar Nano Throughs out of my "real" money at £45 New-2010-Thru.jpg

This is almost as hard as buying the bloomin bike. What do you reckon?
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    no one will see them when your on the bike, so why blow the bank :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    no one will see them when your on the bike, so why blow the bank :wink:

I agree, I already sponked a load of my credit on new stuff today, I am thinking the wellgo's look OK in silver or maybe even red, so might just go for them, but those Spanks do look oh so mighty fine.... then I haven't had any issues with my feet slipping of the V8's even with my big feet so maybe V12's are the way to go with the better quality bearing. :?
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nanos (see Exotic Carbon Cycles for their badged version at £30) or Wellgo MG1.

V12s are small, heavy and over priced.

The B144 is light for a alu pedal, but not the largest platform.

The Spank must be a joke, silly price!
  • like these - quite a looker for £45
    wellgo_b144_red.jpg
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Nano's or MG1's, both are great, I looked at spank spike and just saw overpriced waste of money...but the orange is a nice match for my bike..... just not the nice! :/
  • supersonic
    http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... edals.html

£35, big platform, good bearings, replaceable pins, light weight, pretty tough. Nothing much not to like!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If your LBS can get all DMR pedals then take a look at the Vaults, massive platform perfect for big feet and very grippy.

Failing that the MG1's are a very good option.
  • chez_m356
    like these - quite a looker for £45
    wellgo_b144_red.jpg
    out of curiosity, is your EX8 the 2012 Titanium one ?
  • Shimano DX Flatties.... :0)

Ahhh - not more options!! I kind of want to pick from what the shop has in stock so I am not forking out extra cash if that makes sense. Though I have found the MG1's real cheap on ebay.

M144 looks the best option at the mo, from the shop stock anyways.
  • chez_m356 wrote:

Yep - I deliberated long and hard over whether to go black or titanium, in the end, I went titanium as the black bike I borrowed looked real scruffy with a few scratches on it, thought the Titanium would wear better.
  • peter413 wrote:
    If your LBS can get all DMR pedals then take a look at the Vaults, massive platform perfect for big feet and very grippy.

Failing that the MG1's are a very good option.

Vaults are very nice, but again - £80 for a set of pedals, its just crazy!!!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:

Yep - I deliberated long and hard over whether to go black or titanium, in the end, I went titanium as the black bike I borrowed looked real scruffy with a few scratches on it, thought the Titanium would wear better.
    you haven't even picked it up yet, and your already a tart :lol: it was the red wellgo's that gave it away :wink:, nice :D
  • supersonic
    Remember Wellgo make DMR pedals...
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

you haven't even picked it up yet, and your already a tart :lol: it was the red wellgo's that gave it away :wink:, nice :D

:oops: :oops: :oops: I know. . .:D
  • supersonic wrote:
    http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-magnesium-alloy-platform-flat-mtb-pedals.html

£35, big platform, good bearings, replaceable pins, light weight, pretty tough. Nothing much not to like!

Just ordered, for £35 its worth spending my "real" money and saving my store credit for something else. Cheers guys for the input - what a bloody marvellous forum!
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    supersonic wrote:
    Nanos (see Exotic Carbon Cycles for their badged version at £30) or Wellgo MG1.

I have the exotic ones on the Pitch, they feel way nicer than the V8s that were on before hand. Bit lighter too.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar Nano's are amazing, by far the best pedals I have owned. I have used DMR V8's, & V12's, Gusset Slim Jim's & Straitline pedals.
    Nano's give excellent grip, are a reasonable weight, very comfortable & nice & reliable. I believe they are basically Kona WahWah's.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Superstar Nano's by far. They are great.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Shimano DX Flatties.... :0)

bad choice, I used to rave about them until I tried nano techs... the DX's are tall, small, heavy, expensive and the stock pins are shite, the only positives are they are well built and last ages, but other than that they aren't great.

the mg1's are too tall imo, great weight, price and everything else, but they are just too tall and you feel like you on them, rather than in them if you get what i mean. the nano techs are great, but if money were no object, it either be nukeproof mag-ti's, point one racings, straightline amp or twenty6 predators.
  • supersonic
    Check out Exotics pedals - they do a Ti axled version of the nano too.

The 'nano' is seen in many guises ie Kona Wah Wah, NukeProof Proton, Exotic - all are made by HT industries.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Remember Wellgo make DMR pedals...
    They've yet to do an equivalent of the Vaults however. Besides Fiat make Ferraris, does that make Fiats just as good? :P

B54 comes close for platform size and grip but the depth is too big. Bearings a bit cheaper too. Mine got a little wobbly. Nice grip though. Switched to Vaults just because the opportunity came up, don't care about the price, and they really are great pedals. So good I bought another set! :D

So if you can consider/afford £100 spanks!... go for the Vaults, cheaper and probably better. Those spanks don't look like such a convincing grippy platform.

If you're not up to throwing money about, don't waste it, go with the Nanos.
  • I put V12s on my titanium EX8, no complaints here well grippy. :D
  • supersonic
    They've yet to do an equivalent of the Vaults however.

They do allsorts of different designs - most use the same two variations of axle with cartridge bearing and DU bush, which I am preety sure is on the Vault. Pity we don't see more Wellgo imported.

http://www.wellgo.com.tw/product.asp?ca ... &offset=10

This is the one I want to see:

B181.jpg

115mm platform, 315g and TEN mm deep!
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    +1 for the Vaults. I had Nano's on my old bike and Vaults came with my new one (second-hand). The Vaults are big, grippy and lighter than most large platforms. The Nano's are great value but the Vaults are a better pedal imo.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Anonymous
    http://www.sicklines.com/2012/03/21/fyx ... lon-pedal/

Not available over here I guess though.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Put on my first set of flats yesterday. Got the deal a few weeks ago on the One-One Thinny's (think they were £40)

They definitely look the part, big platform, plenty pins and are nice & light and well..thin

6599589009_1445ce06c8.jpg

Still, a bit of a learning curve coming off of SPD though :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Grippy shoes are a big help. Five Tens or any waffle tread stuff.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    deadkenny wrote:
    Grippy shoes are a big help. Five Tens or any waffle tread stuff.

A pair of Five Ten Line King Freeride's turned up today :D They make a big difference. Amazing amount of grip. And they look schweeet too!

79583.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8