Front wheel assembly - help needed ASAP please

Buster_05
Buster_05 Posts: 37
edited March 2012 in Workshop
ok bike gurus.

my nozzle shat itself today, so i had to take the front wheel off. sounds simple...

but my vuage mate i lent my bike to last lost the key for the pinheads that are on the bike

i ordered more from egay the other day
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400243577037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2669wt_1297

i attacked my bike with an angle grinder, and got off the pin heads, easy stuff! they are even still usable, they act jsut like bolts now 8)

the stem from the pinheads is below
oldstem.jpg
and the egay stems are below
newstem.jpg
and below is the mess i have created...
mess.jpg

can any body steer me in the right direction pretty pretty please. i need to get it rideable again to get to work on friday morning at 6.....

i will be going to the local halfords tomorrow to purchase a new inner tube, also i think i have lost 2 of the bearings when they fell out, will i be able to buy those from there?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    What on earth are you talking about?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Buster_05
    how do i get the part in the second picture onto my front wheel? and where do all those bits in the third picture go?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    If you only have the bits in the pictures then you don't have all the necessary parts. Picture 2 shows some parts of a quick release skewer, picture 3 - you only have 1 of the two cones and half the bearings.
    I'd suggest taking the whole bike to a bike shop and letting them sort it.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Why didn't you take note of what goes where when you disassembled it?

Take it to a bike shop and get someone who is competent to sort it out.
    More problems but still living....
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    To my eyes it looks like you are missing a few ball bearings and a cone ?
    Ideally a good LBS will sort you out but if you want to try Halfords since you were going there anyway I'd suggest phoning them to see if the guys there sound competent plus have the bits necessary. Some Halfords are good some tragic for anything more than oiling a chain. I've had good experiences but know that often they aren't the best.
    Be quicker than trying to work out what bits you need and ordering them in the hope they'll arrive in time. A competant mechanic will resovle this really quickly.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    looks complete mess; :shock: what have you been doing, angle grinders etc ??
    get it sorted by someone competent, get in wrong and if your front wheel falls out :(:(:(
  • Buster_05
    i think ill admit defeat, i just like trying to work things out myself :)

thanks guys :)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Chuck it all in the next door's garden, buy some Obermayers and Ti/carbon skewers, never, ever touch bike with angle grinder again.

Out of interest, was it a 6'' grinder or a proper one?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can't help but get involved here!

Simply because I'm so confused and the Engineer in me needs to understand what the hell is going on. :D

Nozzle?

Pinheads?

Egay stems?

It sounds like you had a puncture. How you got from needing to replace a tube all the way to dismantling the wheel axle and hub is something that I would really like to know - and then write a book on.

I should also make it clear that I hope you're sorted for Friday!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Sounds to me like security skewers and a lost key :)
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    Jesus lol! you are trying to fit a QR skewer into a solid axle.

Do yourself a favour and take it to the bike shop and let them deal with it, it'd take ages to get you to understand what needs to be done here. :roll:
  • Buster_05
    kippy wrote:
    Jesus lol! you are trying to fit a QR skewer into a solid axle.

Do yourself a favour and take it to the bike shop and let them deal with it, it'd take ages to get you to understand what needs to be done here. :roll:

ding ding ding.....

simple really.

the bike shop has the wheels now, i should be able to pick them up on sunday.

the angle grinder didnt touch the bike, just the security locks... :)

cheers :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    next time use an oxy-acetalene torch, it'll do less damage.
  • Yossie
    rake wrote:

Amateur. Real men use chain saws. Big ones. And axes. Again, big ones.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Your all pussies. I'd have torn it off with my teeth.
  • Yossie
    Bizarrely enough, I read RPD Steve as RPG Steve and thought that he had blown the fecking thing apart Terry T stylee ......

Now that would have been cool.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Yossie wrote:
    rake wrote:

Amateur. Real men use chain saws. Big ones. And axes. Again, big ones.
    thats not a chainsaw, there's no V8 and only one handle.
  • Buster_05 wrote:
    my nozzle shat itself today, . sounds simple...

I beg to differ - sounds painful and rather messy!