Digital Pianos

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Thinking of getting one for my son to start learning on. Decent ones seem to be from £400 upwards, though the Casio CDP100 is just under £300.

Any other recommendations for an entry level one?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    any that doesn't colour the keys to 'help learning'. Ditto the teacher.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Do you know any pianists? There's not much substitute for trying them out. Some of the cheaper ones have quite a poor piano feel.

I bought a Yamaha Arius YDP-161 a few months ago and I've been quite impressed with it. It's got very few bells and whistles but it sounds and feels very nice. Current prices are around £800 though which is probably a bit more than you want to spend.

The e-book here is quite useful: http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/digital-piano-reviews.html
  • Buy him a ukulele. Cheaper, more fun and easier to learn. And takes up way less space.

You can master "ain't she sweet" within a couple of hours :wink:
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    One of the big differences with the more expensive ones is a better feel, weighted action it's called. It feels like a proper piano.
    I tried to get my youngest interested in one so she could use it with headphones rather than use the upright in the hall. Selfish motive. She decided she preferred the real one. Must say the ones I tried out were very realistic. Amazingly so.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Do you know any pianists? There's not much substitute for trying them out. Some of the cheaper ones have quite a poor piano feel.

I bought a Yamaha Arius YDP-161 a few months ago and I've been quite impressed with it. It's got very few bells and whistles but it sounds and feels very nice. Current prices are around £800 though which is probably a bit more than you want to spend.

The e-book here is quite useful: http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/digital-piano-reviews.html

+1 for the Arius. We have the 141 which is a bit cheaper but still excellent.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Have a look on Thomann, pretty good deals on there.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Had same dilema a year or two ago when my daughter decided se wanted to learn. A friend who is a music teacher advised pretty much any of the Yamaha models. Found one in the classifieds section of local paper that had hardly been used. Paid £70 when new price would have been about £250.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Might be worth looking at MIDI controller keyboards and getting a cheap synth module off Ebay such as a Korg 05R/W.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Get him a guitar - far sexier and transportable too....

Rock Keyboard players don't get laid....

Everyone wants to be Steve Vai, no one wants to be Rick Wakeman.....