Full suss bike storage

Sadoldsamurai
Sadoldsamurai Posts: 41
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, trying to sort out our bikes..from being thrown into the garage to something a little better.. :oops:
can you hang hardtails and full sussers from the ceiling..i.e. without any weight on the wheels..will this 'over extend'/ cause problems with the forks/ rear shock suspension units.. :?
forks and shocks are designed (?) to carry at least the bikes weight..for mere mortals who don't get mega air.. :roll:
Thanks in advance for serious suggestions..
Conrad
09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
07 Orbit 9531DB0
WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yes you can - there are lots of different ways of hanging though either via the frame, the wheels or saddle &/or bars.

Guess the only issue might be and upside down mount with oil suspension units.

The weight of the bike is not going to put any undue pressure on the suspension as long as the mounting does not force them to over compress or extend. All that means is you need to locate the mounts to hang the bike as if it was standing on the ground wheels down with no rider in a neutral position. My roof mount holds the bike by the saddle & bars and are located the same distance apart as the they are on the bike so they are not pushed apart or squashed together when the bike is racked.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Yes, I'd say your best bet would be by the saddle and stem/bars as has been said, keeping them fairly level. Road bikes/rigid things will hang upside down nicely, wouldn't bother doing it to bikes with suspension forks due to the oil moving inside the forks. Won't do any lasting damage, might cause lockout or motion control units to play up for a little while though.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    FOX recomend you store the the bike upside down to keep the seals/foam rings lubricated..

i not had any issues with my bikes being stored like this.