Full susp????

ac_neill@hotmail.com
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I recently added a post 'which bike' I would really appreciate knowing for trail riding a xc trails do I really need a full susp? I am a beginner with no experience in moutain biking.

All advise really appreciated,

Happy Trails...

:0)

Comments

• andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    No, of course you don't need full suss. People were riding up and down mountains long before any suspension was developed and there are still folk who can ride down pretty much anything on a fully rigid bike. The question is whether you want full suss though and only you can answer that.

Personally I do, but not because of any need (I don''t ride anything very technical), but because I ride to get out in the country and enjoy the view, so anything that means I can spend more time enjoying the view and less time watching the trail is good for me. Plus, bouncy bikes are fun :)

Cheers,

Andy
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you don't mind getting the sh1t beaten out of you on every ride then a HT will be fine. There's always a place for a HT and it's not the canal.
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    Different people, different rides. A HT is a great way to learn how to ride and develop skills. The same money will buy you a good HT or a crap full suss. You really have to be in the 1500+ game to get anything decent in full suss new. I like going to the Peaks and its certainly more fun on a full suss IMHO and less tiring for a day out.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Ok, sweet. Thank You for all of your input. Its a hard call...obviously if I had the dough I would buy a decent full suss...

I don't, the only option I have full suss is a 'Mongoose Salvo Comp' Any good?

or an orange p7 or Specialized rockhopper expert HT?

Any opions please? Thanks...
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    The general opinion of those who know more than I do are that the Boardman FS Team and Decathlon (Rockrider 9.1 or 9.2) do much better spec/value full suspension bikes for the same price as the Mongoose.

I'm waiting for my cycle to work voucher before I go and pick up my rockrider 9.1, as a beginner to proper trail riding its going to be more than enough mountain bike for my requirements. I've got a long way to go before the bike starts limiting my riding.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mongoose Salvo is a heavy, entry level full susser but will do the job. The Rockhopper is much lighter with some better parts, but obviously you lose that rear sus. The P7 is just a heavy lump.

As above, the Boardmen and Rockriders offer the best value, and good performance.
  • Thank You for the time to write your your replies peeps. Appreciated :0)

Just in a dilema now, the work scheme only offers the mongoose for full suss or sacrafice the rear suss for the rockhopper...

Like I said no massive jumps or drop ins, just the best bike for the job...

Any further help on this would be sweet thanks,

Alex.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I love my Rockhopper! It can take on pretty much anything. When you really push it hard the back end can be a bit twitchy but that's all part of the ride!

Seriously - it's a good solid bike and has a great frame if you want to start upgrading bits in the future. I'm considering doing the Trans Provence 7-day stage-race on mine...we'll see...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    My advice would be to forget the work scheme. As you've found it tends to limit your choice, but also tends to restrict you to paying full price (as the dealers have to pay something to be part of the scheme, so are less likely to offer a discount). You can still make some savings with the work scheme of course, but if you are shopping around with your own money you can often save nearly as much (especially at this time of year when you can still get last year's models at big discounts) and have a lot more choice.

Cheers,

Andy
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Thank You for the time to write your your replies peeps. Appreciated :0)

Just in a dilema now, the work scheme only offers the mongoose for full suss or sacrafice the rear suss for the rockhopper...

Like I said no massive jumps or drop ins, just the best bike for the job...

Any further help on this would be sweet thanks,

Alex.
    why are you tied to those two, there's plenty of dealers who do the cws, are you tied to a particular dealer ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    if the choice is the Mongoose full suss or the Rockhopper - I'd take the Rockhopper!
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Personally I prefer HT's at the CWS budget, but talk to local shop's, sometimes they'll cut some slack.
    Also look at "Pauls cycles" online, some pretty good deals, also check out the 2012 Cube HT range and Trek 6500 HT if you can max the £1000 CWS limit... If you can deal with Halfords, then the Boardman full sus has had great reviews last year.
    Hope you find something.