I need a way of mounting magicshine-mj-818-main_472_big.jpg
to a pannier rack...

Seatpost mount not an option

its to go on the carrier of a Revolution Country Explorer

Any ideas folks

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Could you attach something like a seat post to the rack and then attach it to that ?
  • hmm what about upvc pipe, and superglued/cable tided on perhaps?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Assuming the rack has a standard relector/light bracket, you could fit something like this to it:

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/products.php?pid=1183&detail=true

Though you may have to drill some holes on the rack reflector mount if the holes don't line up as they are.

Or if you want to be a bit more 'Heath Robinson', get a two inch length of broom handle; cut it into two equal halves lengthways; put it across the reflector mount and mark where you'd need to drill so that you could use wood screws to fit the two halves back together with the reflector mount as the sandwich between the two. Paint it up with wood primer and silver paint - and you're sorted.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Aren't there magicshine helmet mounts? You could loose the straps and bolt the mount body onto the rack's reflector bracket ( it'll be like the 'downgrip' but smaller).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I would take some metal (copper?) tube of approx seatpost dimension, crush on side to give a near flat, leaving the rear face curved to fit the lamp . Drill and bolt it to the rack mount. Bend the metal to get the correct angle of illumination.
    Use a short O ring to fix the lamp to the metal tube.

With any rack mount, you want all the gubbins below the rack, out of the way.
    Do you need a quick removal system for security?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A piece of 25mm UPVC tube - electrical PVC conduit is ideal -plus a couple of cable ties would be my solution.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My solution to the same was a short section of handlebar with a hole drilled in it and a bolt and a few suitable spacers.
    4mm bolt, a cup washer from v-brake block and nyloc nut inside the bar with M6 nut and furved fork spacer, Fi'zi:k bar end plugs to seal the holes. A bit of a fiddle to fit though.

imag0979.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.