Is it worth updatiing an old bike???

UnworthyPapaLazaru
UnworthyPapaLazaru Posts: 422
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have been toying with the idea of buying a new bike for a while, I had a Boardman Team FS on order but cancelled it, I didn't really love the bike. Nice, well specced and would have been good value on C2W but it wasn't doing it for me. Then I moved on to the idea of a Canyon Nerve AM, I really love that bike, but can I really afford it!!?? Again, well specced, but a bigger hit on the wallet.

It then it popped into my mind that I could just give my beloved (and I do love it!) Cannondale a make over. Some bling and some higher quality parts maybe. But is it really worth putting money into a bike that can only use v brakes? Is it too old school for an update? Even having a quick look at rims, there are hardly any these days that aren't disk specific and I'm not that up to speed on bling!

I run my bike as a single speed, but would like the option to return to gears (1x9 probably) if I choose, so I could buy a regular strong wheel ready for V-Brakes. Any suggestions, and what kind of price would I be looking at?

You will see from the image linked that I have a bit of a colour mix up going on. I think I would also change the cranks/chainring to black (and rims) to make the collar match the cuffs :-)

In all I would update:

Bars
Grips
V brake levers
V brakes
Saddle
Rims/Hubs or decent factory built wheel dished for cassette but can be used with my single speed.
Tyres
cranks/chainring
quick release seat post

Any suggestions and comments welcome. Has anyone else updated old-ish school mtb's? I am rediscovering mtbing after a period of road cycling and will be spending time at Glentress, Inners and up the Pentlands. is it worth it or should I take the plunge and buy a new school full bouncer!?

You can see the bike here

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-vR7k2ONnD-U/Tn-py ... .41.48.jpg

(if I had the money i would do both...I don't...)
Cannondale F500
Peugeot Fixed Gear
Specialized Hardrock
Baordman Team Carbon
Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My old Proflex is still going strong but technically it's the same as it was in 1996, it just has newer equivalents of the original parts.
    p1010552.jpg
    If it was my only bike I would have sold it a long time ago. It belongs to a different era and while it's fine for fireroad warriors and easy-ish natural trails it is hopelessly outgunned on anything technical.
  • As said above, if its kept technically the same then I would have thought it wouldn't do much more than it does just now. I don't know if it would be worthwhile putting modern brakes and forks on it. Would it be enough for you..
  • Hairylegs66
    Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
    I have to agree with the above comments. I went back to Mountain biking on a 20 yr old hardtail. It was fun but hard work and I realised quickly that I would get more from a modern bike; especially the brakes and lighter weight components. Stick with yr current bike whilst you save, firm up your wishlist and go for it! Good luck! Ps my old hardtail is now my daily commuter bike; we won't be parted.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    i had a similar dilemma....do up my old Epic, or splash out on a new one.

Sure it was a bit more than my budget, but you'll soon forget about the money. I'd get the Nerve. You'll not regret it.

The value that these bikes offer is incredible...and once you add the component parts together, you'll probably not be far off a large chunk of the Nerve cost anyway...

....oh yeah...and you'll have blown a wad and STILL want the nerve.

don't fk about....just be decisive and get one. A good friend of mine rides one and LOVES it, in case you are wondering about ride quality. He uses it for everything from racing XC to Welsh black runs. So for an "average" rider (as in one that fancies a bit of everything), I don't think you can go far wrong.
  • Cheers guys. I think at the very least, due to the braking surface on the rims, I am going to get a new set of wheels. But i can do that for £150 (Mavic Crossride). But, yeah. I want a Nerve AM. I really want one! I'll still find a place for my C'dale though, its a great bike and when I was up at Glentress recently, it still tunrs heads.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you are looking at new wheels then maybe look at a new fork and some headset reducers and a new headset and then disc brakes.

See the topic in the FAQs about the A2Z disc brake adaptors for disc brake less frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Does anyone know how strong a 15/20 year old aliminium frame will be.

For example if it has no obvious signs of damage, is it likely to be as strong as when it was first made and will it stand up to the harder riding that upgraded modern components might bring.
  • I would never get rid of the fork, the bike wouldnt look right! But I will have a look at the A2Z - they look interesting. Cheers
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon