Garmin 200 or 500

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Before I push the button on a new GPS computer, I'd like some advice.

I'm considering either the edge 200 or 500 but worried that the 500 has too many features that I will not use. Currently I'm using a cateye micro but would like the ability to download data and maps after my rides. The 200 seems to do most things (including basic courses). I already have a FR60 with HRM so could use that on the bike if I wanted to, however I don't like looking at my watch when cycling and would prefer a dedicated unit.

Will be using the computer for road riding, mtb and commuting. Having HRM would be nice in that I could compare it against my running performance but I probably won't use it too much riding.

Anybody give me advice over which to buy to cope with my needs now and for the next 12 months. Ignoring the costs difference between the two, which would be a better choice ?

Thanks

Comments

• woozor
    woozor Posts: 117
    Well the 200 doesn't have HRM/cadence support. And also doesn't have custom displays.

Comparison of features from Garmin:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... duct=90675

If you never plan on using a HRM/cadence then the Garmin 200 makes the most sense. However the difference in price between the two isnt that much, so could it be more worthwhile going for the 500 and adding a HRM later on down the line, thats upto you :wink:

PS: I ordered a Garmin 500 yesterday.
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    Edge 200 doesnt have ANT+ capability, nor is the hardware installed. So not even a firmware upgrade will allow cadence / heart rate sensors.

The only reason I use a 200 is that I won it in a competition on this site. Otherwise I would have gone for the 500.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    I bought the Edge 500 with CAD/HRM a few weeks ago; it is a awesone peice of kit (once you have set up to your liking)

After every ride, the analysis on Garmin Connect are ace - it does make you quite addicted to stats etc :)

But as for the device, it is very good and has everything in terms on features you need (plus more).

As Woozor mentioned, the price difference between the 200 & 500 isn't that much so I'd recommend you going for the 500.

I got my RED/BLACK for £180 but I did buy a few other bits to get a bigger discount.
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Go for the 500. Lots of options even of not needed now once you start to download stats you will likley want more and then its an expensive upgrade. Got red & black 500 for £160.
  • shaunos
    shaunos Posts: 84
    Have had this question going around in my head as well.

Where have you guys been getting Red/Black 500 at those prices??

The last time i looked they were £250 plus....
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    To be honest mine came as unit only. Need to find a friendly bike shop who will split the black & red package, I already had he strap and cadence, you don't need cadence to start with, GPS is accurate for speed time, handy if you go through tunnels.. hand tech are doing units only for £150 but not red black.

Atb
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Interestingly for me I bought 2 Edge 500's (one for a mate) and got a price match on the normal Blue/White one for £180.

As I needed a few more bits and bobs (cleaning kits), I was cheeky enough to ask whether they would give me t(mine) the same price on a Black/Red one and they said fine; so happy days :)

I bought both with CAD/HRM.

Evans Cycles = thumps up!