Older vs Younger

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Interesting incident yesterday. Made me think about the void between the yoof of today and people of my generation...

I watched a more mature gentleman, probably 45 ish, ride along a pavement, due to roadworks closing the road. IMHO this is no excuse for riding on the pavement, he should have dismounted from his bike and walked. He was on a good bike and in good quality kit - suggesting a reasonable income.

Anyway, A young mother was walking along the pavement approaching the guy who was riding on the pavement - she had a pushchair with her and a toddler on a scooter blatting along ahead of her.

Another cyclist, who had dismounted and was pushing his bike along the pavement, asked the gentleman to dismount as he was approaching the mother with kids at speed - He asked in a polite, but firm way IMHO.

The older gentleman let out a torrent of abuse at the other cyclist and demanded to see his "warrant card" because he knew his rights.....then as he rode off shouted "F*** off" which I though was pretty cowardly.

This torrent of abuse was clearly heard by me on the other side of the road, the mother and kids and was directed aggressively at the guy that asked him to dismount.

This is the behaviour I would expect of a juvenile or my stereotyped view of teenagers. Interestingly, the pavement riding gentleman headed towards a well known business park, suggesting middle management or some similiar role.

If this is how the more mature generation leads the way, with selfish behaviour and abuse, it is no wonder that we have such a broken society.....

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Re. Stereotypes, because i have a shaven head (i blame my dad for fault hair genes) people treat me differently.

what's quite amusing though is i'm polite, always say "please"/ "thanks" etc an you can see people are taken back by this. i can only presume that because i have a shaven head people think im a neo fachist thug that wants to riot an cause a ruckus?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Re. Stereotypes, because i have a shaven head (i blame my dad for fault hair genes) people treat me differently.

what's quite amusing though is i'm polite, always say "please"/ "thanks" etc an you can see people are taken back by this. i can only presume that because i have a shaven head people think im a neo fachist thug that wants to riot an cause a ruckus?!

Agree - stereotypes are a bad thing, but can be useful when explaining a situation.

I just did not expect someone of maturity to act in such a cowardly and immature way. The cyclist who walked with his bike on the pavement around the road works just shook his head in disbelief. The lady with the kids looked pretty shocked - Just hope that here toddler is not repeating what he heard (mine would!)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Aye, i find it shocking when its a really old person...you know older than ITBoffin who are aggressive, angry an swearing their heads off like a dock worker....some people dont fit what they look like

that sounds shocking behaviour though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Oh, I think the generation who were taught to be polite and show respect to their fellow man are in their sixties at the youngest these days. And even then, my chav neighbour who certainly looks like he's in his sixties, is more than happy to eff-and-Jeff at the top of his voice in the street no matter who is around.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Don't forget lot of todays old people were yesterday's young t0ssers and w4nkers,age will never improve them.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Age IMHO opinion has nothing to do with it - some people are polite some people are not regardless of age.

I'm 32 and i consider myself to be young, but always am curteous and vary rarely swear (i'm the guy that never raises his voice).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills