is a bike stand the best tool you can have?

2»

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    is a bike stand the best tool you can have?

Not in my eyes, I usually can't be arsed to clamp my bike to it unless it's a job that requires the wheels out, but upright, like bleeding brakes, or fitting a new headset (even then, if it was a bare frame I don't bother with the stand).

For most jobs I just flip the bike upside down or lean it on the wall.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    flappy8 wrote:
    IMHO many say its not worth owning tools and stand and get LBS to do it.

Never heard of this before!

p4pb4374214.jpg

taadaa!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    oodboo wrote:
    My latest 'tool' is a massive roll of blue roll on a stand :)

This, my friend sounds like a good purchase. My 'bike' tea towles/dish cloths is now at 3 numbers and I'm not sure if I can go any higher without reprisals :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo wrote:
    My latest 'tool' is a massive roll of blue roll on a stand :)

This, my friend sounds like a good purchase. My 'bike' tea towles/dish cloths is now at 3 numbers and I'm not sure if I can go any higher without reprisals :wink:

More acquired than purchased :wink: but yeah, the missus was sick of me making the tea towels manky.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    If you've got the money spare then get one of the biketools ones. I got mine from Merlin cycles for £60 delivered and I'm well please with it. Apart from a tool shelf I can't imagine how I'd improve it. Nothing against parktools but I wonder what the extra £100 gets you.

Great quality and very handy. No more back ache and greasy arms for me! And gears that change, for a change.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Abra wrote:
    I was thinking about geting one the other day and the usual RRP is about £100. without trying to look like a complete fool does anyone have a history with one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-ROAD-BIKE-CYCLE-BICYCLE-REPAIR-WORK-STAND-FPR-HOME-MECHANICS-/370587450180?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item5648bbbb44

or would you suggest something better? :?

I hope they're joking with the price. £432.99 for the same one I bought in lidl for £25.99. :shock: :shock:
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    A stand (mine's the EBC one) and a good quality set of allen wrenches (Draper Expert, sub £30 and just as good as Park) are the two most useful bits of workshop kit I own.
  • simowill
    simowill Posts: 56
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    I was thinking about geting one the other day and the usual RRP is about £100. without trying to look like a complete fool does anyone have a history with one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-ROAD-BIKE-CYCLE-BICYCLE-REPAIR-WORK-STAND-FPR-HOME-MECHANICS-/370587450180?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item5648bbbb44

or would you suggest something better? :?

I hope they're joking with the price. £432.99 for the same one I bought in lidl for £25.99. :shock: :shock:

I got that stand a couple of weeks ago and paid £35 for it off of eBay. Great stand for the money

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    I've built up 3 bikes from scratch without one and never had a problem.

However I can see the usefulness and for indexing gears I would find it a great help. If you got the money for 1, room to store it and think you'll make good use of it then defo hunt out a good deal and get 1.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Regarding storage - most stands fold up so they don't take up too much space. I live in a flat and mine lives under the bed with my rollers.