recent visit to commuting chat made me laugh

2»

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...oh no cyclists infighting :x :cry: :roll: :( . I have always commuted by bike, raced, toured and cycled to the shops. Please let's not start a load of tribal nonsense. :roll:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...oh no cyclists infighting :x :cry: :roll: :( . I have always commuted by bike, raced, toured and cycled to the shops. Please let's not start a load of tribal nonsense. :roll:

Why not, it's fun! :twisted:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ChrisLS wrote:

I didn't mean to start a fight about cycling, :( I was just asking how patronising was this comment...

The original post...
    "I am assuming, from looking at your location, that you are not from the UK, and therefore may not quite get the British sense of humour/xenophobic tendencies.

Course I understand, I just choose not to live in the UK.

Paternalista pessoa Inglês! Sua mãe era um hamster e seu pai cheiro de sabugueiro!
    http://translate.google.com/#pt|en|
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    byke68 wrote:
    And they all seem to work in an office - a big open plan office, probably public sector.

London cycle commuters come in a wide range of shapes and colours. City bankers, Canary Wharf bankers, City lawyers, Canary Wharf lawyers, Mayfair hedge fund bankers, ...

We're mostly tossers. That much is true. :wink:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Kurako wrote:
    byke68 wrote:
    And they all seem to work in an office - a big open plan office, probably public sector.

London cycle commuters come in a wide range of shapes and colours. City bankers, Canary Wharf bankers, City lawyers, Canary Wharf lawyers, Mayfair hedge fund bankers, ...

& we all cruise along at 20mph? ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

& we all cruise along at 20mph? ;)

purr.

:wink:
  • byke68
    Kurako wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

I'll take your word for it! :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Roadies cruise at 25.. thats wot sets us apart
  • byke68
    JGSI wrote:
    Roadies cruise at 25.. thats wot sets us apart

I hit 30 last Thursday on my way home - bike not car!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    This should answer everyone's question...

Slide1.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nope I got lost and possibly made baby Jesus cry at the same time...

IMG_0918-PS.jpg

It's in full roadie spec now. Until Tri season anyway.. ;)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ^that's like someone took a halfords and just compressed it all together.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    team47b wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

I didn't mean to start a fight about cycling, :( I was just asking how patronising was this comment...

The original post...
    "I am assuming, from looking at your location, that you are not from the UK, and therefore may not quite get the British sense of humour/xenophobic tendencies.

Paternalista pessoa Inglês! Sua mãe era um hamster e seu pai cheiro de sabugueiro!
    team47b, I was the person who posted that comment on the thread you started over in Commuting Chat.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12842281

First of all, my intention is not to revive a topic that's been flogged to death. I have no interest in the CakeStop vs Commuting Chat debate. As far as I'm concerned, it was a bunch of people from both sides arguing the toss over f*ck all. However, if you feel strongly enough to quote my reply for debate here, then I feel you're entitled to some input from me at least; rather than seek opinions from everyone else on another part of the forum.

I'm sorry that you think my comment was patronising. It wasn't. It was meant as a genuine welcome message to somebody who I thought was new to the Commuting Chat section. Given that I don't know anything about you as I don't frequent Cake Stop where you appear to post most regularly, and seeing as your location is down as Portugal, I thought a genuine reply to your question was in order just in case there was any sincerity behind it.

But having read your first comment on this thread, it looks like you were just sh*tting on your own doorstep and then stirring it with a big stick :roll:
  • team47b
    kelsen wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

The original post...

team47b, I was the person who posted that comment on the thread you started over in Commuting Chat.

First of all, my intention is not to revive a topic that's been flogged to death. I have no interest in the CakeStop vs Commuting Chat debate. As far as I'm concerned, it was a bunch of people from both sides arguing the toss over f*ck all. However, if you feel strongly enough to quote my reply for debate here, then I feel you're entitled to some input from me at least; rather than seek opinions from everyone else on another part of the forum.

I'm sorry that you think my comment was patronising. It wasn't. It was meant as a genuine welcome message to somebody who I thought was new to the Commuting Chat section. Given that I don't know anything about you as I don't frequent Cake Stop where you appear to post most regularly, and seeing as your location is down as Portugal, I thought a genuine reply to your question was in order just in case there was any sincerity behind it.

But having read your first comment on this thread, it looks like you were just sh*tting on your own doorstep and then stirring it with a big stick :roll:

I apologise if I appear to have been mean in any way to anyone.

My intention was to have a laugh by pretending to be outraged (hence the DM or Daily Mail reference) and yes you are right I do like to point out the silly debacle of cyclists arguing amongst themselves about riding for fun and riding that's fun. I was putting the stick in and stirring it, an idle pass time I know, but the emphasis was on idle. I have become to realise that I have to be more obvious in my attempts at humour. Cake stop is good because most people who go there see the funny side in anything, most of the time.

I don't get to converse in English in my day to day life very often, so tend to use all areas of this forum to play with language, join in with that great British tradition of banter, which is missing in the Portuguese language/culture.

Sorry.

Let's talk about bikes...
  • byke68
    team47b wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

The original post...

My intention was to have a laugh by pretending to be outraged (hence the DM or Daily Mail reference) and yes you are right I do like to point out the silly debacle of cyclists arguing amongst themselves about riding for fun and riding that's fun. I was putting the stick in and stirring it, an idle pass time I know, but the emphasis was on idle. I have become to realise that I have to be more obvious in my attempts at humour. Cake stop is good because most people who go there see the funny side in anything, most of the time.

I don't get to converse in English in my day to day life very often, so tend to use all areas of this forum to play with language, join in with that great British tradition of banter, which is missing in the Portuguese language/culture.

Sorry.

Yeah, let talk bikes..............

Anyone else got a Giant Bowery '72?
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • kelsen
    team47b wrote:

Sorry.

Hey, no offence taken so no apology required. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same wavelength, that's all. I don't think there's any problems with your humour. There's as much irreverence/sarcasm/p*sstaking on Commuting Chat as there is here, but with any forum, you get to know the regulars and how their mind works. When somebody new comes along it's hard to tell if they are being serious or not. I was accused of being somebody's glove puppet when I first posted a flippant remark on the forum :mrgreen:

By the way, the only reason I post on Commuting Chat is because I first responded to a thread over there and ended up staying there as a regular, not because I thought 'Great, a forum for commuters!'. Many years before that, when this site was called Cycling+, I hung out here on Cake Stop under a different name but then forgot my password when I stopped posting for a while.
  • kelsen
    byke68 wrote:
    Yeah, let talk bikes..............

Anyone else got a Giant Bowery '72?
    Nice! I have a Ridgeback Comet hybrid with twin panniers and full mudguards.

Actually no, I have a Cannondale Synapse and R800 CAAD3, a Planet X Nanolight, a Raleigh Record Sprint, and a Kona Kahuna
  • This thread has turned into the feel good story of the year.
  • team47b
    Honeymoon over.

Can I go back to winding people up and takin' the pi55 now? :D

Disclaimer: this in no way suggests that I am married to, or sleeping with, anyone on this forum. Oh I now wish I hadn't started this analogy!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    team47b wrote:
    Honeymoon over.

Disclaimer: this in no way suggests that I am married to, or sleeping with, anyone on this forum. Oh I now wish I hadn't started this analogy!

SO If you had to co-habit with someone on the forum (in an arranged sort of way but not making any judgements on peoples sexuality or anything (this is not crudcatcher after all)) who would you wish to make an "Odd Couple" with and why...
  • team47b
    Redhog14 wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Honeymoon over.

SO If you had to co-habit with someone on the forum (in an arranged sort of way but not making any judgements on peoples sexuality or anything (this is not crudcatcher after all)) who would you wish to make an "Odd Couple" with and why...

I would have to pick on someone who lives somewhere warm and sunny who has spare bikes...oh no that's a little narcissistic..
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    team47b wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Honeymoon over.

I would have to pick on someone who lives somewhere warm and sunny who has spare bikes...oh no that's a little narcissistic..

Looks like you have half that equation covered...

I'd go for someone with good mechanic skills but does not have a beard which rules out Sheldon Brown alikes...