OT: Swimming

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Did a quick search for this but didn't pick up anything useful.

After my first session since breaking my hip, and refusing to believe that it is forbidden for real cyclists to swim or run :lol: , my physio has recommended I get my fat *rse down to the pool and get my swim on.

I know there are a few on here that swim. What do you wear in the pool?

For some reason, I'm thinking that board-shorts and goggles wouldn't be a good look and that I should get myself some trunks or 'aquashorts'.

Have I just been wearing lycra for too long?

Comments

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    hehehe, i understand your dilemma...i am the same (started training for a triathlon)...i got some speedo shorts - lycra like fit but long shorts - to just above the knee (not the brazilian short-shorts!)... need a swim cap to top it off :)

good luck with the recovery!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    No, if you re properly swimming, Speedos are fine - They now do some in a boxer short shape which I like - means I don't have to trim away any strays.... :|

Get some good goggles and a nose clip if you re a bit sensitive to chlorine...

If you start combinging it with cycling or going for a run after a ride then you can get the fudge out of here! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    OK, sounds like I'm on the right track then.
    ddraver wrote:
    means I don't have to trim away any strays....

I think you've just traumatised everyone with that image.

As for swimming "properly", that would probably necessitate more than 15 mins in the pool which doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while, at least!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Don't do it! You'll get wet.

I feel sorry for swimmers. No where near as much stuff to buy. Trunks/shorts, cap, goggles, nose clip, towels, maybe flip-flops and a terry cloth dressing gown for around the pool and that seems to be it.

Poor swimmers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Don't do it! You'll get wet.

I feel sorry for swimmers. No where near as much stuff to buy. Trunks/shorts, cap, goggles, nose clip, towels, maybe flip-flops and a terry cloth dressing gown for around the pool and that seems to be it.

Poor swimmers.

Flippers, floats (flat for arms, other for legs), hand paddles, waterproof mp3, wetsuit for open water, medication that gets rid of verrucas.

Ok, not a long list, but there's something there to play with.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    plus if you then start swimming in combination with cycling (and/or running) that opens a huge door to kit options :P
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    To answer the original question (and avoid any further discussion on 'strays'), I've got some tight shorts (made by Speedo) like others have mentioned, but also have some looser (also Speedo) shorts which retain a little more dignity! Anything like board-shorts or bigger/baggier shorts just get heavy, bunch up and are pretty uncomfortable.

Re. goggles - make sure you try them on and get comfy pair. There are loads, but the big cheapo sports shops (JJB, etc.) seem to have a good selection. Trying to fit anti-fog treatment anywhere other than online seems to be a pain though.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    In the pool I wear shorts. In the late it's a tri suit and a wetsuit.

OT from your OT but I just tried to find somewhere I could take The Mighty Pickle for swimming lessons. There isn't anywhere within 5 miles of me that offers Parent Toddler swimming lessons on a weekend. Do these community sports centres assume that a) at least one parent stops working when kids arrive and b) both parents are interested in swimming.

/Shuffles off to tax statement to find out where his tax is being spent....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX