replaceing rear derraluer

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
basically, inowfairly sure that this is bent which is causing my gear change/ running issue. a new one is prety cheap so im thinking of just changing it. what is involved with setting a new one up once fitted? where do i start? cheers, chris

Comments

• MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    It is simple and anyone can do it. You de-link the chain, remove the derralieur, put the new one on, re-link the chain, and adjust using the screws on the side so it can run smoothly. It is wise to do this on a bike stand or if not, securely hanging from the roof by a rope to get the ratios correct.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Are you sure it's not the hanger that's bent? If it is the hanger don't pull the derailleur to try and straighten it, you could make things worse. Remove the derailleur, then straighten the hanger and refit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    the cage around the lowest jockey wheel is splayed outwards and there is a tiny crease around where itbolts to the frame so pretty sure its been bent out of line. i had a bit of a jiggle with it and it seems a bit better.